Thursday, December 20, 2012

Could Be the Last Run EVER?!

I just wanted to come on and update this since 1) I've ran since I last posted and 2) This very well may be the last day on Earth, if those Mayans were correct.

Wednesday, like I had predicted, ended up being a total rest day.  There just wasn't enough time to get everywhere I needed to be plus get to the gym.  But, that's ok, because I truly believe my knee needed that extra rest!

Today I had a 4 mile tempo run scheduled.  I was kind of dreading this due to the problems I've been having, but I honestly felt fine and was hoping for the best as I headed out.  The weather was VERY windy and that was a bit complicated to contend with along the river (stadium loop again), but I think I did a pretty good job!  I started out with a 1 mile easy warmup, ran 2 miles at around 5K pace, then ran 1 mile to cooldown.  That third mile was kinda tough toward the end, but I didn't back down and I made it!  The best part?  No pain, no niggles, no tightness, nada!  I felt great!  I iced when I got home more out of precaution (paranoia?) than necessity.  I also planked and stretched, of course.  Like I said, I think that day of total rest did me good!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:54
Mile 2 - 8:26
Mile 3 - 8:03
Mile 4 - 9:21

Overall: 4.06 miles in 36:21.  Average pace: 8:57.  I'm pleased with that.  If that ends up being my last run ever, I think I can be proud of myself.

However, I don't think that it will be.  :)

That being said, on a down note, I think my favorite trail is not going to be accessible for a while...  They are doing some kind of construction in several places of it, making it quite cumbersome to get through, and due to the wet weather, it has really become just a slosh pit.  I attempted to go down it a bit today and barely made it a quarter mile before turning around and heading to the stadiums because I was sliding all over the place and then the construction folks seemed to think that I had no right running through their zone.  So boo.  Looks like I'll be mainly on pavement for a while until I can find a better path to run, or the construction and shitty weather let up.  I'd like to say I can make it up to North Park to run, but it is quite a trip from where I live.  I do want to get some runs done up there though because my next 3 races are there and I'd like to be familiar with it.  I've only ran there a couple of times before during the summer and once about 2 weeks or so ago.  I don't really prefer North Park even though a lot of people do.  The speed bumps really mess with me and I honestly prefer soft picturesque trail as opposed to running on a road around a lake.  The same 5 mile loop over and over and over... I don't know.  Maybe I'm just weird.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to try to make it up to the gym.  We're supposed to be getting one heck of a snowstorm starting tonight and throughout the day tomorrow.  If that's the case, my scheduled 4 mile run on Saturday may need to be either postponed to Sunday or done on the treadmill.  Or maybe if they clear North Park I'll run up there and let the kids play a bit.  We'll see.  I'm staying flexible on pretty much everything in life right now due to the holidays and weather and babies being born, etc.  Next week is my last buildup week and then I'm OFFICIALLY training for my half marathon.  I'm nervous and excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment