Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Easier Time with the Long Run?

Over the past few weeks I've come to realize something.  I tend to feel much better after my long run than the "easy/recovery" run the day after.  Why is this?  Take this week for example:  yesterday I felt fan-freakin-tastic after my 7 mile run.  Hardly felt the need to ice afterward (although I did anyway), and for the rest of my day, I couldn't even tell that my legs took me far that morning.  Not a twinge or niggle.  But today, after a 3 mile "easy/recovery", I feel a bit on the beat up side.  Sitting here on my chair an hour and a half post run, I can still feel my knee throbbing.  Yes, I've iced and stretched thoroughly.  It doesn't hurt as bad as it did in the previous week when I was fearing an injury, mind you, but I feel like I ran 8-10 miles at a brisk pace!  I don't understand this, and if you're reading this and can provide some insight, please do.  If I'm doing something incredibly wrong, I'd like to correct it!

Yesterday's run really did go great.  It was another warm December day (in the 50s), but it was sprinkling rain on and off.  No biggie.  That typically makes for a sweet run, especially on the trail.  Somewhere in mile 5, my knee started aching slightly, but it didn't last long and I was able to finish the run comfortably.  And, like I said above, I never felt the slightest discomfort the rest of the day.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:10
Mile 2 - 9:51
Mile 3 - 9:47
Mile 4 - 9:52
Mile 5 - 9:42
Mile 6 - 9:49
Mile 7 - 9:12 (you know how I love to push that last mile a bit)

Overall: 7.08 miles in 1:09:11.  Average pace:  9:46.  I really felt great!

Today's run was tough.  It started out ok, but felt hard.  I was battling an almost steady rain, much chillier temps than yesterday, and random strong gusts of wind.  The wind was the worst part... I don't mind the cold or the rain much.  I also ran the stadium loop again today because I knew the trail would be a sloppy mess due to the all night rain.  Anyway, right around 1.5 miles my knee started the dull ache thing again, but I was able to push through it.  It still bothered me through my walk back home.  I stretched, planked (of course), and iced.  It's not crippling by any means, but I can definitely feel it nagging me.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:02
Mile 2 - 9:52
Mile 3 - 8:57 (ok, so I really pushed that mile... lol)

Overall: 3.08 miles in 29:37.  Average pace:  9:36.  Still within "easy" range, but I feel like I just ran a big race.  :(

Tomorrow is scheduled to be a gym day, but my middle child has an appointment mid morning, so I might not be able to make it there.  If I have to take a rest day, I really won't mind or beat myself up over it.  Either way, I hope I feel better when I get back out on the road or trail on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment