Sunday, December 30, 2012

Final Run of 2012! Week in Review!

I woke up this morning determined to get out and run.  The streets were plowed and I knew from some interwebs chatter that North Park was in decent shape.  So, we bundled up the kids with the promise of playing in huge piles of snow and off we went.  As we drove in, I saw a good amount of people running around the lake.  Great sign!  I did notice that there were some spots that looked kinda iffy, so I made a pact with myself that I was just here to get 3 EASY miles in.  I wasn't going to kill myself over keeping pace.  I was just going to enjoy myself and stay in an upright position.  The rolling hills honestly weren't bad.  I expected a lot worse.  Like I said, there were lots of people and even with all the weaving around, passing walkers and letting the speedsters by me, there was very little to worry about where traction was concerned.  The one and only dodgy bit was the bridge.  Since the jogging trail goes up on a sidewalk here instead of just being an extension of the road, it wasn't plowed.  So, it was all snow, ice and slush.  I defintely needed to slow WAY down (I think my pace dropped to like 10:30 something per mile around here) and watch my footing.  Thankfully the bridge isn't very long, and then it was back to the road path around the other side of the lake.  I really felt like I could have ran the entire lake loop today (5 miles, as I've mentioned before).  However, I was only out for 3 today, and didn't want to be stupid right before half marathon training, so I was a good girl and did an out and back.  I had fun.  The trip on the way back was more of the same, except I was more confident with the bridge.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:58
Mile 2 - 9:48
Mile 3 - 9:24

Overall: 3.03 miles in 29:32.  Average pace: 9:43.  Ha!  Even rocked negative splits, slushy bridge and all!  This was my last run of 2012!

This was an up and down week, that's for sure.  But, I expected that and adapted the best that I could.  My only real regret is not doing any weight training.  I must do better at compensating for that, even on days where it is impossible to make it to the gym.  Maybe I need to look into a new video for those days or dig out an oldie.  Suggestions?

I ran 15.07 miles this week (again, an estimate due to my app messing up the other day).  I also got that awesome 5 mile walk in with Leslie!  I planked every single day, with most days being 2+ minute planks and I was able to do my IT Band strengthening routine.  I'm not going to feel bad about that!  This was my last week of general running before becoming an official Half Marathoner-in-training!  Yeah!

I'm going to make separate posts regarding my Year in Review and goal setting for 2013 as well as for next week's training, of course - my first week of Half Marathon Training via Hal Higdon!

No comments:

Post a Comment