Friday, December 28, 2012

The Whirlwind of the Holidays and Getting Back on Track

Oh, the holidays.  I love them, really, I do, but boy can they throw the mind and the body for a loop quickly.  I knew coming into this week that I was going to have to stay flexible and be ok with the fact that my "schedule" was going to get tossed around.  And that's what happened!

Monday I was able to get up to North Park again to do my 6 miler.  The run was great.  I was wondering how I'd feel doing my long run here after the run the day before but I felt fantastic.  There were so many runners out celebrating this Christmas Eve by wearing holiday clothing, including santa hats and elf SHOES!  haha!  Even the dogs being walked around the lake had bows and hats on.  Cute.  I think seeing all this around me really pumped me up despite the bitter cold because I did this run pretty fast.  I didn't feel bad at all afterward, though, so it didn't worry me.  What a great way to kick off the week!

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:12
Mile 2 - 9:33
Mile 3 - 9:33
Mile 4 - 9:21
Mile 5 - 9:09
Mile 6 - 9:02

Overall: 6.04 miles in 57:15.  Average Pace: 9:28.  A little on the fast side, but I felt great!

Then, in true blonde fashion I messed my knee up Christmas Eve night in an unfortunate portable dishwasher incident.  LOL.  So, I decided that it would be perfectly fine to delay my Christmas Day 3 miler to rest the knee and to not throw yet another wrench in the works of our travel plans.  We were leaving that afternoon to go visit my family approximately 3 hours away.

The trip went well, but we stayed very late and by the time we drove home it was in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.  I felt like crap (you know, between the trip and all that super wonderful healthy Christmas food - NOT) and knew that running was going to be iffy Wednesday afternoon.  I kept some hope that I'd get out, though.

That was until I woke up (very late due to the time I finally got to bed) on Wednesday to see several inches of snow and ICE outside and more of the stuff still falling down.  All in all, my area got 5-7 inches.  It was a lovely ice-snow-ice-snow layer.  No running was happening outside then, and obviously I couldn't drive to the gym to the treadmill when the weather was so bad.  So, I said "meh, I could use the extra rest from the trip, etc". 

The next day the snow was only barely cleared out, and if I'm being perfectly honest here, I was having a pretty crappy day and feeling lazy as all get out.  So, I didn't run outside because I will NOT run on ice.  I just will not risk the injury.  But, I also didn't drive to the gym, even though I could have, because of sheer LAZINESS.  There I admitted it.  I will say that I did plank every single day and on this particular day (Thursday) I did do my IT Band Strengthening Routine as well as some abdominal crunches.  That's more than nothing, I guess.

Today I was determined to get back on track.  I literally rolled out of bed, grabbed a bite to eat and got my #plankaday done.  I whipped on my gym clothes, grabbed my shoes, and headed to the gym (word on the street had it that my trail was a total disaster and that North Park was still dodgy in spots.  Plus, after all these days off, Nick was really itching to go to the gym too, so it just seemed like the best thing to do.).

I got there, put my game face on (lol) and hopped on a treadmill.  I started my Nike+ Running app, because it is a LOT more accurate than the treadmills at my ghetto gym.  My gym is tiny, and it's cheap for a reason.  The equipment is more often than not "out of order", and even when it is in order, it's not quite up to standards.  Plus, I really like hearing the coaching in my ear as well as my running playlist because it drowns out the gym chatter.  I AM, in fact, looking for a better gym when my membership here expires in February.  Anyway, I planned on running 5 miles on the treadmill.  I wasn't looking for tempo miles, just an easy 5 to get close to my mileage for the week after missing all these days.  Sometime after the halfway point and my "you're halfway there" announcement, my app paused.  It somehow stopped tracking distance and pace, but continued tracking time.  I was a little curious as to why I stopped hearing the announcements, but I kept plugging along.  Finally, I just said "screw it" and ran until the 1 hour point on the treadmill.  When I finally looked at my phone, it said that I went 2.84 miles in 58:08.  Correct time (since I walked 2 mins on the mill before starting the app), but definitely not distance or anything else.  Crap.  So, if I have to give it my best guess, I ran around 6 miles.  That's what I feel like I ran as well.  That would equal around a 9:40 mile average and that seems right to me.

So, my next task is to figure out if this was just some goof of the app or if my shoe pod is garbage.  I'll do that soon.   Here in a little bit I'm going to go do a recon mission of North Park to see if it is runnable.  If so, tomorrow I'd like to put in 3-4 miles there.  If not, back to the gym I go.  Same with Sunday. 

Getting back on track after the holidays is tough but necessary.  I hope you are all having good luck in finishing 2012 strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment