Monday, December 31, 2012

Training Schedule Week of 12/31/2012-1/6/2013

Here it is!  My first week of Half Marathon training.  As I said, I'm utilizing a slightly modified (this is me, of course) version of Hal Higdon's Intermediate Half program.

Why did I choose this?  Because after much research, it best fits "me".  It schedules 2 strength training days, which, on a good week I do anyway.  It also starts at a comfortable mileage per week and days running per week for me.  I have heard great things about doing a shorter run the day before the weekend long run to "teach" your body how to run on already potentially tired legs, so that was another reason.  And, most of all, and the main reason I picked Intermediate instead of a Novice program is the incorporated speedwork.  I've been doing speedwork for several months and have felt that I've gotten a lot out of it.  It's pushed me when I didn't know what I was capable of, therefore allowing me to reevaluate my goals and go farther... faster!  I truly enjoy it as well, as it breaks up the monotony of "just run at a conversational pace", which some days can make even a short run seem like it goes on forever.

What am I modfiying?  Well, first of all, I'm spreading it out to 13 weeks instead of 12.  I thought it would be awesome to start the program right at the New Year (yeah, cheesy me), and it would be great to have an "oopsie" week just in case I come down with the nasties, have a niggle I can't keep under control, or if a blizzard comes our way and I can't leave the house.  Right now on my written plan, it's giving me a bit more of a taper, especially since my first half is on a Saturday, not a Sunday.  Second of all, the races on Hal's plan and mine don't totally match up.  He calls for a 5K on the Sunday in week 3.  I have had my heart set on doing the Frigid Five Miler since I first heard about it.  That will be on Sunday of Week 2 for me.  As such, I've moved the long runs around to compensate.  Hal calls for a 10K on Sunday of Week 6.  My 10K takes place that Saturday, so again, I adjusted.  There is a 15K listed in Hal's plan for week 9.  I couldn't find one in my area at that time.  So, I'll be doing a scheduled long run instead that week.  Lastly, on the "Stretch and Strengthen" Mondays that are standard in the plan, I would also love to do crosstraining (just a simple 30 min bike or elliptical workout or a video done at home if I can't get to the gym) since I am used to doing that presently.  Now, if I'm feeling worn out, injured, or that I just need the break, I won't feel obligated to do that.  But, that's just my "in a perfect world" plan. 

Other than the changes listed above, I'm just along for the ride!  We'll see what happens with it.  As always, I'm going to keep an open mind and "play smart" and be open to having to change things as needed.

So, without further ado, here's my schedule for Half Marathon Training Week 1:

Monday: Today I did a 30 minute strength training video - Roger Dickerman's The Whole Package, as well as the 30 minute video Yoga for Runners.  Stretch and strength day DONE!
Tuesday:  3 miles EASY
Wednesday: 5x400 with 200 recoveries.  There will be a 1 mile w/u and c/d as well.
Thursday:  3 miles EASY plus upper body weights
Friday:  REST DAY!
Saturday:  3 miles EASY
Sunday:  5 miles LONG

Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment