Sunday, December 2, 2012

Week in Review

Well, another week is behind me.  Time always seems to fly once the holidays come around...  So much stuff to do and never enough time to fit it all in. 

Let's see, the last workout I posted on was Thursday's tempo run, and I've been a little slacking (already) on posting daily (see note about holidays and time above).  Friday was another gym day.  I did another random spin bike workout and got ALL of my weight circuit in.  As far as my weight circuit goes, I pretty much just utilize a plan laid out for me by a personal trainer with a couple of add ons that I either enjoy or feel beneficial to my running.  I'm really trying to make it to the gym twice a week from here until my half marathon.

Saturday was scheduled to be another 3 mile easy run.  It started out that way, but just as I was about to exit the park to head out to the trail I usually run on, a dog chased me down and jumped on me.  Of course it had to be some nasty pit bull mix hyperactive type mutt.  It didn't really hurt me, but it stopped me in my tracks for a moment or two.  I was so flipping mad.  This park has an off leash dog area, but some people think that means their dogs are allowed off leash EVERYWHERE.  I noticed this lady and her two dogs as I was making my way through the park and I just felt off about it since both of them were off leash already on the bridge before you get to the dog area.  I'm sorry, but if you can't control your dog(s) and they can't be trusted to stay where they are supposed to then keep them on a freaking leash.  I'll admit to several expletives flying out of my mouth.  At any rate, I had a really hard time keeping a nice even easy pace after the incident and the whole run just felt like crap.  I ended up doing 3.11 miles in 29:05.  Not too shabby of a run, but definitely not controlled and easy.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:22
Mile 2 - 9:38
Mile 3 - 9:08

Oh well.  I'm not a dog person, so this really drove me nuts. But I gotta learn not to let something ruin an entire run.  What if during a race something weird happens?  Not every run/race is going to be perfect.  This is obviously something I need to work on.

I've also been keeping up with #plankaday, which is just so fun.  I seem to plank better after running and stretching than other times.  I wonder if there is something to this?

I just have to brag a little too - I hit not one, but TWO awesome milestones this week!!

1) This is the first week EVER that I have ran 4 days in one week.  I've been a 3 day a week runner mostly.  But, I really want to hit the 20+ miles and 5 days per week point before I start my "official" training for my half marathon.  If all goes as planned, I will hit that in the next couple of weeks.  So, I scrapped my original plan (I just had Runners World Smart Coach generate a plan for me based on my 5K PR), which had me doing 1 long run per week, 1 super short (2 mile) run per week, and 1 speedwork day per week.  Instead, I dropped the distance of the long run slightly in favor of running more days per week and then building again onto the long run from there.  I honestly didn't feel like I was getting much out of the quickie 2 mile jaunt in between an 8+ mile run and a set of Yasso 800s.  This week was my first experiment with this and honestly this is the best I've felt after a week of training in a while.  We'll see what next week brings.

2)  I did my very first 2+ minute plank!!  2:05.1!  Yay!!  I have very poor core strength after 6 abdominal surgeries so any improvement in this area is a big deal to me.  Thank you #plankaday!!

Today is a rest day for me, but tomorrow starts a whole new week of training.  I'll be back later to post my training schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment