Sunday, December 23, 2012

Week in Review

A little late (as usual), but here is my training week update/review.

Friday I made it to the gym.  I did my typical random recumbent bike workout.  I ended up going 7.52 miles in 30 minutes.  It was a good time.  Then I was able to do my complete weights circuit.

I did:
Leg Press - 2 sets of 12 @ 55 lbs
Shoulder Press - 2 sets of 12 @ 15 lbs
Triceps Press - 2 sets of 15 @ 45 lbs
Back Extension - 2 sets of 15 @ 80 lbs
Hip adduction - 2 sets of 15 @ 100 lbs
Hip abduction - 2 sets of 15 @ 100 lbs
Abdominal Crunch - 1 set of 20 @ 50 lbs, 1 set of 20 @ 55 lbs - RAWR!
Chest press - 2 sets of 12 @ 30 lbs
Seated Row - 2 sets of 15 @ 30 lbs
Pulldown - 2 sets of 12 @ 35 lbs

This workout felt GREAT!

Saturday was a difficult day.  Because it was the kids first day of Winter Vacation and our schedules were just crazy, I couldn't break away for my scheduled run.  I still couldn't just sit around and do NOTHING, though, not with the holiday yumminess that lie ahead in the coming days.  So, I popped in a trusty ol' fitness DVD.  Now, I've "graduated" working out at home for the most part in lieu of running and going to the gym, but my roots are in the videos.  I've been doing workout videos since I had old Denise Austin VHS TAPES in the 90s.  Not to completely date myself, but yeah... I had the entire "Hit the Spot" series.  I was also a big "The Firm" fan.

Anyway, the DVD I chose was The Biggest Loser Cardio Max.

Jillian's intimidating even on the cover.  Yikes.  LOVE YOU JILLIAN!
 
This workout is awesome.  I love the fact that you can customize it.  Also, they add a lot of core focus and weights.  Cardio Max is truly an all inclusive workout.  It's also got a decent warmup and cooldown, which a lot of videos really seem to lack.  I sound like I'm being paid to write a great review here, but I'm really not.  I'm just a fan.  I bought the video at Target with my own money and I've done the workout in my own home, looking all sweaty and haggard because I have no one to impress here... lol
 
Today I was able to get to the park and run.  I went to North Park for two reasons - 1) to "practice" running there due to having 3 races coming up there, and 2) because the kids can play in the playground and snow with Nick so we're all getting a workout.  It was a chilly (20s) but very sunny day (thank goodness for my Oakleys).  I had on my Hyperwarm pants that's for sure!  There was some girl there running in her shorty shorts.  Wow.  More power to her - I think my legs would jerk right off my body and go running off somewhere warm.
 
 
My run went really well.  I fully admit to taking it a bit fast, but I think having the extra "rest" day from running just made me want to go go go.  And honestly, I tried to just not look at my watch and run by what felt "easy" and then every time I'd glance at my pace, it would be way faster than I "should" have been running.  So, after about half way through I just said screw it and ran how I felt like running, gps watch and mcmillan running be damned.  I was scheduled for 4 miles and I went 4.25.  The North Park lake loop is a near perfect 5 mile loop, and I was so tempted to run it all, but I cut my run off at 4.25 like a good girl and walked the rest of the loop back to the family and van.
 
Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:43
Mile 2 - 9:35
Mile 3 - 9:04
Mile 4 - 9:07
 
Overall: 4.25 miles in 39:35.  Average pace: 9:18.
 
So this week was another great week, I think, even with the crazy schedules and whatnot.  Overall this week I ran 18.48 miles in 2:54:44.  1 mile less than last week, BUT I did that in 4 runs, not 5.  It all works out, I promise.
 
I'm going to make a separate post regarding my training schedule for the coming week.  Obviously, I'm going to stay very flexible on this due to the holiday, but I will make my best attempt to staying on track however I can!


No comments:

Post a Comment