Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I almost puked!

I was lucky when I went out for my speedwork day.  It wasn't raining (yet) and it was 66 degrees.  Woohoo for wearing shorts outside in January!  I wore my blue Nike shorts, my bright yellow-green t-shirt, and my Adrenalines.  I used my Ironman armband with my iPhone again.  Nike+ watch on the wrist beeping at me for my intervals.

For the life of me, I can't remember what I ate before I went out.  I think half of a Luna bar.  Oh well.

I decided to hit the pretty even and flat part of the trail.  I know some people are keen on doing intervals on tracks, but honestly there are none convenient to me, and I just can't be driving all over town looking for that "perfect" place.  The trail works just fine for me.  Race courses aren't all on perfect tracks, either... well, unless it's like track and field or the Olympics, and I'm not going anywhere near those types of things.

At any rate, I started off with a nice and easy warmup and then began my 7 sets of 400m with 200m recoveries.  During the first one I scoffed.  Too easy.  The second one?  Just as easy.  My cockiness crept up.  The third one I felt like I was working but it was fine.  The fourth one was the first that I felt like I had to work a lot.  The fifth?  I wanted to be done.  2 more?  Crap.  On the sixth one I was dry heaving and considered stopping to puke in a trash can near PNC Park.  But instead I got pissed off, told myself that I only had one more to go after this and that if I'd just suck it up and move I'd be done already.  So, that's what I did.  No surprise that those last couple of repeats were my fastest.  By far.  Sometimes I just need to kick my own ass for being a crybaby.  I cooled down by running "easy" back home.  It started raining about 2 blocks from my house.  Talk about perfect timing.  I honestly felt good.  I even bounced up my front stairs. Of course after I stretched and got out of the clothes that were sticking to me I started to feel like I had jelly legs, but hey.  It's all part of the plan, right?

I know splits don't matter when it comes to speedwork intervals, so I'm not even going to post them.  But I will let you know (not that you care, but that's ok, I care) that overall I ran 4.37 miles in 38:03 with an average overall pace of 8:42.  That's with my warmup, cooldown and all the recoveries included.  Yeah, I think I did pretty well.

My #plankaday was 3:34.5.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment