Saturday, January 5, 2013

It's never boring!

Title says it all really...

The evening of my birthday I had an important call to make.  I'd received a postcard several weeks back stating that I was selected for jury duty and I had to call after 4pm on January 2nd to see if I had to report.  Well, as my luck would have it - yes I did.  So, I spent a long, grueling day at the Allegheny County Courthouse serving my time.  Thankfully, I did not get selected as a juror in a case, so my time is served for at least a couple of years.  Definitely not a fun time, though.

After that long day I was pretty irritated and really needed to get my run in.  I went home, grabbed some food (I was starving!) and headed to the gym.  I also had something else on my agenda:  testing out my Nike+ running app after some more research and contact with customer service on a fix.  Let me just say this:  Nike customer service is EXCELLENT.  They are nice people, understanding and quick.  They even offered to go into my account and fix my errored runs so that I didn't lose out on my achievements and NikeFuel.  COOL!

My run went great.  I got a good treadmill and my app worked flawlessly!  There's nothing really spectacular to report about my run, so I apologize for that.  Or not, because at least I have nothing bad to say.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:06
Mile 2 - 9:37
Mile 3 - 9:03

Overall: 3.03 miles in 29:11.  Average pace: 9:36.  Right on target AND negative splits - woohoo!

I also got my upper body and core strength workout in.  It felt great to get back to the weights!

Shoulder Press - 2 sets of 12 @ 55 lbs
Triceps Press - 2 sets of 15 @ 45 lbs
Back Extension - 2 sets of 15 @ 80 lbs
Abdominal Crunch - 2 sets of 20 @ 55 lbs
Chest Press - 2 sets of 12 @ 30 lbs
Seated Row - 2 sets of 15 @ 30 lbs
Pull Down - 2 sets of 12 @ 35 lbs

Can't wait to keep making this a habit again.  I always feel so much better after a good strength workout.

Friday was my rest day - although I DID plank!

Today was scheduled to be an "easy" run.  We headed up to North Park once again with the kids so they could sled.

I wasn't in the best of moods when I started my run, and usually when that happens I tend to run a bit too fast and/or too hard.  This is a tough thing for me to control.  I won't say that this was a particularly hard run, because it wasn't.  A few times I did have to pull myself back from going all out, especially way early on.  I was also using my Adrenalines for only the 2nd time.  I just had some pacing issues and just couldn't keep the whole "slow and easy" feel going.  This ended up being more of a pace run.  And really, that's ok.  Immediately after the run I had a slight ache of the knee, but I iced and stretched like crazy and it's gone now.  I will be more careful for tomorrow's "long" run.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 8:57
Mile 2 - 9:19
Mile 3 - 8:51

Overall: 3.11 miles in 28:04.  Average pace: 9:01.  Like I said, more of a pace run.  Oh well.

Can't believe the first week of training will be over after tomorrow's 5 miler!  And speaking of 5 miler, a week from tomorrow is the Frigid 5 Miler race!  Funny thing, in the 10 day forecast it looks like it will be around 40 degrees and raining.  haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment