Thursday, January 17, 2013

Keepin' It Easy

Theme of the week!

It's gone pretty well this week, if you ask me.  I've had some obstacles to overcome, but that's life and you have to choose to adapt.

Wednesday was my scheduled speedwork day.  Unfortunately, we had a bit of freezing rain and it laid a fine layer of slippery stuff on the ground for that morning.  I know some might chance it, but I don't personally feel safe attempting any speed training on ice, so I was forced to head to the gym for the treadmill.

The run went ok.  I used my Nike+ Sportwatch to keep track of the intervals, but I couldn't hear the beeping like I wanted to (the gym was crowded and noisy) so I found myself inconsistent with the stops and starts more than once.  I still don't feel that the run was a fail - I felt great the entire time and enjoyed pushing myself hard when I needed to.  I also wore my Adrenalines for the first time ever for a speedwork run, and I'm glad I did.  They needed it and feel much more broken in now.

Overall: 3.77 miles in 33:05.  Average pace: 8:46.  That included a w/u and a c/d.

Today I was back at the gym for my planned 3 mile easy trot and upper body strength work.  I'm a little tired because Garrett (3 years old) was up with a cough and the sniffles last night so I didn't sleep very well.  As usual, it's tough pacing on a treadmill, so I ended up a little faster than planned, but not by much.  I felt a little twinge out of my knee, but not bad and it feels ok now.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:46
Mile 2 - 9:14
Mile 3 - 9:06

Overall: 3.22 miles in 30:26.  Average pace: 9:26.  Yeah, a little fast here.

My strength training went as well as I could hope for today.

Shoulder Press - 2 sets of 12 @ 15 lbs
Triceps press - 2 sets of 15 @ 45 lbs
Back Extension - 2 sets of 15 @ 85 lbs
Chest Press - 2 sets of 12 @ 30 lbs
Seated Row - 2 sets of 15 @ 30 lbs
Pull down - 2 sets of 12 @ 40 lbs

I also did 2 sets of 20 ab crunches on the bench again as I'm convinced that my ghetto gym has stopped caring to fix the weight machine.  grr.

Oh!  Another thing I'd like to update is that I've been doing 3+ minute planks!!  Today's #plankaday came in at 3:05.2!  Rawr!!

Tomorrow is a welcome rest day.  Then I'll be running both weekend days as planned!  The weather looks like it'll be cold and windy but fine for running!

No comments:

Post a Comment