Sunday, January 6, 2013

The 5 miler before the 5 Miler

I wish I could say a bunch of positive things about today's run, but I can't.  When I woke up this morning, my knee was a bit sore.  It seemed to loosen up as I got up and about, so I really didn't think much of it.  I did have a fast run yesterday, after all...

I started my loop around North Park and just didn't feel right from the start.  I tried to keep things slow and easy, but I just couldn't settle into any kind of pace or rhythm.  I was either going way too fast or way too slow.  Sometime after mile 2 - probably near the halfway point my knee started bothering me.  Then it started bothering me really bad.  I even contemplated walking at one point.  Then it just started to come and go, so I kept plugging forward.  I gave up all hope of negative splits or the perfect pace and just focused on getting through as easily as possible and not aggravating my knee.  I even stopped looking at my watch.  It was honestly the least enjoyable run I've had in a long time.  I thanked God for the deer I got to glance at along the way, especially during that killer of a hill at the end.  When I got back to the Boathouse (my starting point), I was so happy to turn my watch off and walk to the van.  Walking hurt, but I knew I had to do it and after reaching the van I stretched while shivering in the cold.  After I got home, I stretched some more and iced.  My knee is "ok", but definitely not 100%.  Would I attempt a run tomorrow?  Yes.  It's not that bad - I think.  But, thankfully, tomorrow is a "Stretch and Strengthen" day according to Higdon, so I will be doing just that.  I'll probably do Yoga for Runners and a good upper body routine somewhere.  We'll see.  The knee could benefit from the day of rest.  Hopefully next Sunday's Frigid Five Miler goes much better than this run did!

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:05
Mile 2 - 10:04
Mile 3 - 9:40
Mile 4 - 9:39
Mile 5 - 9:18

Overall: 5.07 miles in 49:24.  Average pace: 9:44.  So, right where I should be AND negative splits.  If someone were to just look at those stats, they'd think I had a fantastic run.  But it sucked... really.

This has been an up and down kinda week, but I feel awesome that I've just completed Week 1 of half marathon training!  As long as I can keep my knee under control, I can see great things to come!

Overall this week I ran 18.29 miles in 2:50:37.  Average pace: 9:20.  The biggest mistake I think I made this week was doing my Saturday run WAY too fast.  I think, if anything, it should be my slowest run of the week (unless its written as a specific PACE run) to prepare me for the mileage the next day.  I will work on this in the future.  Not next week, because of the race, but definitely the week after.

No comments:

Post a Comment