Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Boring. Slushy. But done.

I woke up this morning kinda hoping the kids had at least a delay.  Last night the roads got so wicked bad that even the trek to and from gymnastics lessons was treacherous.  But, no.  I looked through the seemingly long list of local schools on the closings and delays list and did not find Pittsburgh Public.  I swear I don't understand this school district.  We will take days and days off for minor incidents and administrative meeting BS, but snow?  Nope.  Arctic windchill?  Probably not.  I feel bad for the little kids who actually have to walk to school.  I only live a few blocks from my children's elementary school and I sure wouldn't have them walk outside today.  The city doesn't give a flip about the side roads and my neighbors don't seem to give a flip about clearing off the sidewalks in front of their homes.

If I'm being really honest here, I'm yearning to get out of this city.  Maybe not the area in general, but definitely out of city limits and certainly out of the public school district.  Maybe out of Allegheny County in general, but I don't know.  After over 10 years of living here, I still don't feel at "home".  I don't like many things about this area and the things I do care about I don't necessarily need to live right next to, you know?  I think my kids deserve a better upbringing than living in a "historic district" in the middle of the city can give them.

But, all that aside, after the kiddos were dropped off at school, I headed out for my run.  These "easy" runs are sometimes just the worst.  I don't mean they are hard, because they aren't.  Some days, particularly when I've had a hurried morning such as this one and I'm not really in the mood to do much, they seem very much like a chore I just need to get out of the way.  And they are boring.  No intervals.  No long distance to look forward to.  No speed.  No nothing but trudging along.  There are days when I do like these runs, but today was not one of them. 

The park was hardly clear.  It was the worst I've seen it, honestly.  You had to make the choice of running through icy packed down snow, slush, or in the middle of the road constantly looking for cars.  I mostly chose the slush, aside from a few times I had to go into the road due to puddles or other people already being in the slush path.  At least it was kinda warm.  By that I mean it was 27 degrees, not 5.

Pre run (before I ran out of the house with the kids this morning) I ate half of an Oatmeal Raisin Powerbar.

I had on tights, blue tank underneath my Great Race long sleeved shirt, and my bright green pullover.  I wore my zebra headband again because I love it and my Manzella gloves.  Avia socks and Adrenalines went on my feet.  I used my watch as usual and put my iPhone in my Spibelt because I had NO pockets in this ensemble.

The run went ok.  Boring and slushy, but I got it done.  My back is still bothering me. 

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:05
Mile 2 - 9:47
Mile 3 - 9:47
Mile 4 - 9:11 <-- I was tired of it and just wanted done.

Overall: 4.05 miles in 39:20.  Average pace: 9:42.

Post run I had a banana and came home to stretch and foam roll.  My back feels good when I stretch.  I'll probably do another stretching session later.  Nick's already promised to give me a backrub later so hopefully that helps too.  I just wish I knew exactly what I did and what's wrong so I can get it fixed.  This sucks.

Oh, my #PlankADay today was 3:49.0.  Planking really aggravates the back but I don't want to stop.  I'm around 80 days straight now.

No comments:

Post a Comment