Friday, February 22, 2013

Catch Up Friday!

I think I explained before why my posts are sporadic.  No need to go there again.  Be aware that I whine a lot in this post, so if that's not your thing you can skip by.  :)

My running this week has been going pretty well.  Tuesday I went up to North Park in the morning, thinking I'd get my 4.5 easy miles in and then use the last .5 mile around the lake as a cooldown walk.  On a regular day, this would have been a fine move.  However, there was freezing rain on this particular morning.  The smart thing would have been to take the run inside, but I was already out and there were a couple (and I mean like 2) other people running around, so I just rolled with it.  The run really was easy, aside from the couple of patches of black ice that I did slip a bit on.  I'm just thankful I didn't break anything.  I didn't have negative splits at all, but honestly I was more focused on staying in an upright position than my pace.

I ran 4.62 miles in 43:51.  Average pace: 9:29.  Not a terrible run at all, but next time I think I won't risk the chance of falling on the ice.  Please hurry spring!!

Wednesday.  Oh, Wednesday.  First let me give you some backstory here without going into a million years worth of overdramatic detail:  My MIL has hated me forever.  Seriously, since I've been in high school... and that was quite a few years ago.  The feeling is pretty much mutual, although I've tried on many occasions to put things in the past, see her side of life, etc.  Anyway, here we are 20 years later and she still finds some joy in stirring the pot every now and then in my life and trying to assert her superiority over me.  Well, Wednesday morning I got jolted out of bed at the crack on dawn by my cell phone going off.  It's her.  She's taking the time out of her morning to text me and be absolutely absurd.  Of course this throws my mood right in the toilet for the morning and my eyes haven't even totally focused yet.  So, I get out of bed and start the morning routine.  This would be the morning that my older two kids forget how to get ready for school in a smooth, orderly fashion and the morning spirals into a sea of chaos, power struggling, and frustration.  I checked out the weather, which told me that it "felt like" 2 degrees outside and it was snowing.  Damn.  After Tuesday's slipping on black ice debacle, I wasn't having that, and decided to go to the gym after the kids got to school.  The kids finally got dropped off.  I heaved a small sigh of relief, but was still seething mad at my MIL who was continuing to be a drama queen.

Then I got to the gym.  I know I've mentioned it before, but my gym sucks.  I've been a member exactly one year this month and I can't name anything I like about it other than it's there.  And it's cheap.  Other than that it sucks.  It's teeny tiny and most of the equipment is in some state of disrepair.  You know, like the treadmills that don't have inclines that work or HRMs that work, or the weight benches that you can't adjust the weight on in every increment, just the ones that work that day.  Then there's the crowd.  Right now there's a huge influx of a geriatric population because they had a promotion, and honestly I don't mind them.  A lot of them look confused or nervous but I give them huge props for taking a step in controlling their health and wellness and I hope they stick around.  Other than them, there are 2 main groups of people at my gym with only a small portion who lay outside them.  There's the weight lifting guys who like to talk really loudly about getting drunk and cheating on their wives and the ditzy girls in the matchy match clothes who are trying to get the attention of said guys.  Bleh.  In the year I've been here, I've gotten to know ONE guy by name.  One!  And I got to know him through my husband because they got talking one day and it turns out he is training for the Pittsburgh Marathon and he's considering Rock N Roll Cleveland just as I am.  So, now we talk about how our runs are going/not going and how much it sucks doing the hamster on a wheel treadmill routine.

Ok, I've bitched enough about the gym.  Let's just catch this up and say I got there, I was in a bad mood that went to worse, and I jumped on a treadmill.  That had a malfunctioning incline.  Ugh.  By this time I was so reeling mad that I just ran it out.  I was supposed to do 10 minute easy warmup, 20 minutes at 5K-10K pace, 10 minutes cooldown.  I said eff it and just ran it all up tempo.   I ended up going 4.84 miles in 40:18.  Average pace: 8:19.  And I felt ten million lightyears better.  Sometimes I guess I just need to sweat out the stress and pissy mood.  After the gym, I went to the mall and hit up Vitamin World for new vitamins and found a new pair of running shorts (black and pink - woot!) at JCP.  Life was much better.

Yesterday I went back to the gym for my easy 3 plus strength day.  I was in a better mood to start, which is always a good thing, and they gym was pretty empty - another good thing.  Those 3 miles on the hamster wheel went by like nothing.  Super easy.  It was one of those "I could run all day like this" feelings.  Love those.  I ran 3.23 miles total in 30:07.  Average pace: 9:19.

I took a new approach to my weight circuit, since I don't want to redo whatever happened with my back the last time.  Instead of doing 2 sets of relatively "heavy" (for me) weights, I want to try to see what happens going for 3 sets of lighter weights.  So here's what I ended up doing:

Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12 @ 10 lbs
Triceps press - 3 sets of 15 @ 30 lbs
Back extension - 3 sets of 15 @ 60 lbs
Abdominal crunch - 3 sets of 20 @ 30 lbs
Biceps curl - 3 sets of 12 @ 15 lbs
Seated Row - 3 sets of 15 @ 25 lbs
Chest Press - 3 sets of 12 @ 25 lbs
Pull down - 3 sets of 12 @ 30 lbs

Overall, I think this was a decent first try at this.  On some of the machines I didn't feel like I was lifting anything at all (specifically the triceps press, ab crunch and back extension) so I may try bumping the weight up a little bit next time on those.  I did like doing 3 sets instead of 2 because on most of the machines, I felt like I got to true fatigue by the end of the 3rd set.  I'll play around with this a bit and I'll eventually settle on something.  I've also been thinking about consulting my old trainer again, but he's busy as hell with new clientele, and honestly I'm just not up for paying him at the moment.  Makes me a terrible person, I know.

Well, that's all the catching up I have to do!  I'm feeling great, enjoying my rest day, and I'm still a little nervous about this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment