Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fueled By CoCo Wheats

Sunday. Long run day.  I can't ever decide if I'm excited for this day to come or I dread it.  Maybe a little of both.  Anyway, this week's challenge was - gulp - 8 miles.  I have only ran this distance twice before, both in November, so it's been a while.  I don't know that I was so much concerned with being able to cover the distance as I was concered with doing it WELL.

This kind of challenge called for CoCo Wheats.  I had a bowl with a dash of wheat germ and a splash of almond milk.

I got all my gear together:
Watch
Shuffle
Oakleys - I learned during yesterday's run that blowing snow in the eyes kinda stings.
Amphipod with a squirt of sport drink mix in it (Cherry)
Shot Blox (Black Cherry)
iPhone for Endomondo and backup

I wore a pair of black bootcut running pants, my new teal running tank under a purple long sleeved tech shirt, Avia socks, my Adrenalines (even though there was significant snow on the ground, the roads were clear), pink zip fleece, manzella gloves, and zebra print headband.  Stylin'.

I had originally planned to start running on McKinney Hill, but due to the weather conditions (snow on the sides of that road and it was still snowing), I stuck to the lake loop plus and extra 1.5 mile out and back.

My plan as always was to start off slow and then take it from there.  Mile 1 - went right as planned.  Mile 2?  The speed demon came out.  Shoot.  Had to back that up quick.  Those first two miles were by far the hardest because it was freezing.  I definitely need to get more SmartWool.  My toes hurt so bad.  By mile 3 I think they were numb (or I was adequately warmed up), but I was thankful for that.  Anyway, mile 3 went smoothly, as well as mile 4.  The run seemed to be getting easier as it went along.  I was enjoying the snowfall, my legs felt great, everyone around was friendly and cheerful.  Awesome!  Mile 5 has that big downhill in it so my time went back into the fast lane again.  I still felt wonderful, but I reminded myself I still had a bit of a climb ahead, as well as 3 more miles to go.  Between miles 5 and 6 I took 3 Shot Blox.  Mile 6 was another fast one, as I failed to pull myself together fully after flying downhill.  I remember looking at my watch around 6.66 (yeah, bad omen, huh) and thinking "I'm feeling like I'm starting to have to work for this now, I'd better slow down".  Then the song "Bring the Rain" by Mercy Me came on and my spirits just lifted.  I felt great, and mile 7 was just as fast as the previous but felt a million times easier.  Mile 8, I was going back uphill and did manage to slow my pace down so I kept the run easy.

Confession:  My previous run distance record was 8.1 miles.  Now, if you know me, you know I had to get out there and beat that today.  It wouldn't be me otherwise.  I was so proud of myself as I walked back to the van.  My knee was aching a little bit, but I wasn't really in pain.  Stretching and icing helped as always.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:06
Mile 2 - 9:37 <-- tisk, tisk
Mile 3 - 9:55
Mile 4 - 9:56
Mile 5 - 9:38
Mile 6 - 9:37
Mile 7 - 9:38
Mile 8 - 9:46

Overall I ran 8.19 miles in 1:20:13.  Average pace: 9:47.  I felt on top of the world!

Post run.  I did it!!
 
Post run I ate a half of a banana and a half of a NuGo Mocha Chocolate bar.  It was delicious!

Speaking of PRs - I also had a #plankaday PR today!  3:51.2!  Guess I just had to go all out this week!
 
Talk about a great week.  Completed all my runs as scheduled.  Plank PRs.  Go me!  This week I ran 22.92 miles in 3:35:58.  Average pace: 9:25.  Proud of myself here!
 
Next week I have another race, so this lovely 8.1 miler will be my last long run until the week following.  Then we'll see if I can go for 9!  I'm starting to think I really CAN do this whole half marathon thing.  Week 5 of training - DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment