Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Realizations

I'm currently pondering a few things.  Scary, I know.

First, let me say that I did get my run in this morning.  Aside from my shoe needing retied at one point, it went pretty easily.  As usual, I started off fast, but thankfully pulled it back to reality.  Until that last mile of course.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:36
Mile 2 - 9:55
Mile 3 - 9:50
Mile 4 - 9:29
Mile 5 - 8:59  Don't judge me, I was having a friendly cat and mouse competition with someone at this point.

Overall: 5.05 miles in 48:20.  Average pace: 9:33.  Yeah, shouldn't have ran that last mile that hard.  The rest of it was super easy, though!

Speedwork tomorrow.  But the weather is supposed to be crappy (again.) so I may end up on the treadmill. Which will suck.  But I'll get it done.

Now back to the ponderings in this little blonde head of mine...

I still don't think I've found my "perfect" running shoe.  I like my Adrenalines.  They were great during the 10K I did in them and they seem to be pretty good on my fast runs.  However, for my long, slow, and easy runs?  Not so much.  Or maybe it's me, I don't know.  They're just really hard, if that makes sense.  They don't have much cushioning and my feet tend to ache in various places after running in them for long periods of time.  They also don't seem flexible.  I feel like I run very flat footed in them, and not just flat footed, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but hard.  I'm taking what I believe to be an exceptional amount of impact in them.  Now, again, this might be just me whining.  Is this normal for long runs?  I like the sense of stability they give, but I'm wondering if it's TOO much, and that's why it doesn't feel right?  And before anyone asks, yes, I was fitted for these at a reputable running store.  They have exactly 100 miles on them now, so I'd think they'd be well broken in by now.  The other thing that drives me nuts about these shoes is that there is way too much space in the heel for me, so I have to lace the shoes up using a lacing "trick" that the guy at the store showed me, so that I'm not flopping around in the back of the shoe.  This is, quite honestly, a pain in the ass.  God forbid they ever come undone in a race because I'd be royally screwed since it takes me a while to tie them up so they feel "right" enough for me to run.  I'd prefer not to have to go through this.  So, I like the shoe, but... I don't.  Shrug?

I've been researching shoes that are similar to the Adrenalines but might offer more cushioning and a smoother ride.  I came down to the Saucony Guide 6, Nike Lunarglide 4, and Asics GT-1000.  I've been going around reading reviews and trying to make a decision.  Well, last week, I was down at the Tanger Outlets and went to the Nike store.  Wouldn't you know, they had the Lunarglide 4 there and it was on hella sale due to Presidents Day.  I tried them on and they felt great, and for the price, I couldn't pass them up.  Much cheaper than I could even find online (I even looked while standing there - lol).  They're freakin' purple too, so even if they ended up sucking for running I'd just wear them around.

I did my "tempo" (read:  ticked off and just ran) run last week in them, and then I brought them out for my easy 5 today.  I really like them.  They seem to weigh a fraction of what the Adrenalines do and they are definitely more flexible.  And the cushioning?  Wow, it feels like I'm on an air mattress, so no worries there.  I also don't have to lace them up a fancy way to get them to work.  I just tie them like any normal shoe and they are just fine.  The only thing I noticed today on my 5 miler, is that they definitely don't have the level of stability that the Adrenalines do.  My ankle rolled a little at one point, but I was on some cracked pavement then too... I didn't have a problem anywhere else.  I rolled in my Adrenalines the second or third time I wore them too in a bike tire groove.  My knee was bothering me a little bit during my last mile today, but as you can see, I was admittedly running way fast and hard due to sheer stupidity and ego.

So, I'm still like  ????  IS there a perfect running shoe out there?  Or do you just have to take what (mostly) works?  Are the Lunarglides my easy shoe and the Adrenalines my race shoes?  I'm confused.  This is frustrating.

The other thing I've got going around my head is nutrition based.  Just for kicks (and interest and suspicion), I started food journaling again for the first time in a long time.  Well, I had my eyes opened by the fact that I am not eating adequately.  Not for the level of activity I've been doing, especially on long run days.  The other day I was 700 calories below where I should have been!!  I also realized that I've been doing great on protein, but I've been seriously lacking in carbs.  CARBS!?!   Pass the pancakes please!  It's no wonder I've been feeling sluggish and just "blah" in general (other than the whole time of the month thing - sorry guys).  Shame on me for not taking into account my increasing activity level and adjusting my needs accordingly.  What I ate while I was just doing 30 minutes or so of low to moderate activity most days per week isn't going to work the same now that I'm running over 4 hours per week plus doing strength/crosstraining.  Again, my bad.  Facepalm.

So, it looks like I need to spend some time keeping up with a food diary again to get myself back on track.  Back when I did it religiously, I used FitDay.  One of the reasons I stopped (and eventually stopped logging foods totally) is because, like other sites, they started taking away things that were once "free" and started charging for paid subscription access.  That kind of thing irritates the heck out of me.  A lot of people seem to like MyFitnessPal, so that's what I am now using.  So far I really dig it.  It has all the capabilities and more than what I was used to on FitDay.  Awesome.  I really like being able to put my own recipes in there and calculate servings accordingly.  Now, just to be clear, I'm not looking to lose weight or go crazy, but I would like to have a clearer picture of what I'm actually putting in my body and how it may be affecting my performance.

That's what's been rolling around my head lately.  Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.

Oh, before I close this up - I just have to announce that today was my 100th Day of #PlankADay!  Woohoo!  I can't believe I've dedicated myself to doing this, but I'm glad I did it.  I've seen obvious progress and results.  I hope I'm able to keep it up for 100 more.


My milestone planks - I was trying to aim for 100 secs per side plank.  Tricky to cut it off.
Also a pic of those purple shoes - haha - and the reason my post run stretches get interesting.
Kitty tickles FTW!

No comments:

Post a Comment