Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Strange How That Happens

Sometimes things just happen how and when they're supposed to.  I guess we're not supposed to know why, but when it does, I certainly get a kick out of it.

In my last post, I mentioned how I was looking to buy some compression socks but was overwhelmed by all the choices out there.  I mean, the things aren't cheap, so if I'm going to spend some money I want to make a good decision.  Well, what do you know - I checked my email this morning and got an email with a 40% off PLUS Free Shipping coupon for ProCompression.  Needless to say, I have an order coming to me right now.  At 40% I can definitely take the chance on them, and honestly they're probably the ones I've heard the most good things about so hopefully I just cashed in on a really great deal.  I love it when things just seem to fall into my lap like that.

Well, now that my sock "thing" is taken care of, I'm now thinking about getting another pair of shoes.  Right now I'm going back and forth between my Adrenalines and my Nike Air Max.  The Adrenalines I love!  They kicked serious ass in the 10K race I did this past weekend.  Right now they have around 70 or so miles on them (I'll have to check the exact number later).  The Nikes have 300ish.  I don't hate them, but I don't love them either.  For one thing, they are too small.  They were my first "real" pair of true running shoes and I totally newbied (is that a word? lol) on them and just picked them up at the Nike outlet because they a) looked cute and b) were the same size I usually wear in other shoes (Doc Martens. Don't judge me.).  I didn't realize until I was running more than 2-3 miles at a time that your feet tend to swell a bit and, well, toes rubbing the top of the shoes isn't altogether pleasant.  I do notice that I have more twinges in my knee or IT bands when I wear the Nikes as well.  I've been thinking that's due to them being so worn, though.  The one thing (other than the cuteness) that they have truly up on the Adrenalines is the cushioning.  The Adrenalines are more rigid, which feels good most of the time, but sometimes I want a little more squish there.  I don't know.  If I could blend the 2 shoes together I think it'd be perfect.  lol.  Anyway, I'd like the retire the Nikes officially soon (at least knock them down to "gym shoe" status) and get another shoe into the rotation.  I've been looking at shoes and just seeing what's around.  If I could have the stability and tight around the arch feel of the Adrenalines with the cushion of the Nikes I think I'd be spot on.  Must continue research.

My run today went great.  Pre-run I ate half of a Peanut Toffee Buzz Clif Bar (my favorite - they have caffeine!  haha).  I went to the trail because (at least from the road) it looked ok.  It was just "ok".  It was really muddy in spots and had big craters and grooves in it in other places from bikes and trucks.  My first mile was hella slow because I was just trying to maintain balance and traction.  I turned around before I wanted to and headed back out on concrete to finish the run.  Safety first, folks.  But overall I'm happy with how it went.  After that first slow mile my legs must've thought I was racing again because they went into gogogo mode.  I felt great though - no niggles, nags, twinges, etc.  I came home, stretched and iced and feel just fine even now.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:24 <-- told you!
Mile 2 - 9:24
Mile 3 - 9:26
Mile 4 - 9:16
Last .57 - 9:11

Overall I ran 4.57 miles in 43:48.  Average pace: 9:34. Yeah!  

My #plankaday today was great too.  I felt like going all out on a standard forearm plank again since it's been a few days.  4:17.1

Speedwork tomorrow.  Gulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment