Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Bad News Bears of Running

Yup, that was me today.  All me.  I was so frustrated as it was happening, but looking back on it I can truly see how hilarious it was.

Today was a scheduled 5 mile run at goal race pace that I'd planned to try to keep between 8:50-9:00.  Really no big deal.

Today's challenge was schedule.  My middle kid had an event in the morning a little later than I'd usually get out to run.  This was ok, though, because Spring Thaw (a 10, 15, and 20 mile race) was happening at North Park in the morning.  I'd been waffling back and forth on doing the 10 since that is the scheduled distance of my long run this week, but wussed out in the end.  I don't know why but the whole two digit number thing is really frightening to me right now.  I've gotta get over it, but it just seems SO FAR.  I know I just ran 9.1 last week and it's less than a freaking mile more, but still.  It's just that number.

Anyway, after the family was situated this afternoon I headed out with the intent to just get my 5 pace miles in around the neighborhood, taking my old route I haven't ran in months.  I have now been reminded why exactly this is my old route.  Garbage broken sidewalks, uneven pavement, cracks, potholes, etc.  And for some reason it slipped my little mind that it's Saturday, which means the vehicle and pedestrian traffic would be out of control since I live near some popular city attractions.  I was constantly either trying not to get run over by some jagoff or getting out of the way of the tourists who see you coming from half the block away but can't seem to give you an inch of space to run by.

I don't know whether it was the off time that I ran or the terrain and crowd, but I just could not get into a groove with this run.  I went out ok, but by the second mile I was just all over the place.  I'd be going way too fast, then way too slow, then blazing fast again, then slogging the next.  Starting and stopping at traffic lights and stop signs (which I hate).  Nothing felt good.  I wasn't in any physical discomfort, but I couldn't find a rhythm, cadence, pace, or anything that clicked.  I posted this on DailyMile too, but I definitely remember seeing the distance 1.84 miles complete on my watch as I contemplated just saying "screw it" and either do the run elsewhere later or dump it all together.  But that little part of me that (thankfully) won't let me quit kept me going... if for nothing else just to get it done and over with.

So much went wrong during this run.  Aside from my pace being all over creation, I just had random irritating issues pop up.  I kept getting texts on my phone.  I could hear them (my phone was in my SpiBelt), but I wasn't about to throw myself off even more by getting to them.  But the sound and vibration was irritating the shit out of me.  Then, out of nowhere, my husband comes flying up in the van with the kids yelling out the window "Do you have your house keys?".  I screamed and nodded "yes", and he said "ok see ya later" and sped off.  WTF?  I found out after my run was over that he took the kids swimming (one of the reasons my phone kept going off with texts before I saw them).

At one point I saw a lady in the distance heading in my direction with 2 not-so-nice looking dogs.  Of course they were off leash and just running around.  Ugh.  I figured I'd cut through a dirt path to get out of their direction (and sight).  Good idea - if not for the mud.  As soon as my foot hit the center of the path I started sliding like I was slipping on a banana peel in a cartoon.  Thank God for my sense of balance and stability.  I could have easily hit the ground.  Instead I just went on a little ride and got back onto a sidewalk.

Probably the most irritating then but hilarious now thing that happened on my run was my wardrobe malfunction.  Since it was around 40 degrees, I wanted to wear capris.  Well, the only capris I had clean today were a pair that I keep around but don't really like.  The problem is that they are too big for "compression" gear.  I truly need an XS, but they are a S which is sometimes ok, but not for these particular ones.  They're ok for biking or going to the gym, but I haven't had fantastic experiences with them running, especially since they lack a drawstring to cinch them up that little bit that I need.  Of course in my (obvious) brain dead blonde state, I threw caution to the wind and put them on with a long sleeved top and went out.  I swear I was pulling them up every chance I got.  I'd pull them up and in a few strides they'd be sliding down again.  I'm thankful I at least had the mind to put a long shirt on because otherwise I would have been flashing my ass crack all over the hood.  For the record, they are a Everlast brand from KMart that I picked up on clearance quite a while ago.  You get what you pay for, I guess!

Lessons I've learned today:

1.  Old routes are old for a reason.
2.  Saturdays still suck for running in my hood.
3.  My hood still sucks for running period.
4.  The ground is still mushy.  I obviously won't be hitting the trail again any time soon.
5.  I need to shut my texts off on my phone before I run and tell Nick that if he really has an issue to call.
6.  Those capris need to go in my Goodwill pile or my "Gym Only" stash.
7.  I need new running capris that actually fit my scrawny ass.
8.  I love the part of me that doesn't let me quit.
9.  I need to not be so hard on myself during (and immediately after) a run, no matter how crappy I think it is.
10.  I should have ran Spring Thaw - this is all probably my karma for being a wuss!!  lol

Splits:
Mile 1 - 8:50
Mile 2 - 8:47
Mile 3 - 9:08
Mile 4 - 8:21
Mile 5 - 9:06

Overall: 5.06 miles in 44:44.  Average pace: 9:49.  Like I said, all over the place.  Oh well.  It's done.  I'm not having any physical repercussions from it, only mental.  I can only hope for a better (10.  TEN!) mile run tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Girl I hate it when runs are like that! When everything seems to be going wrong and all you want to do is run! Great job on getting it done despite all the frustrations!

    ReplyDelete