Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ups and Downs

It's been quite the couple of days.  I could get all wordy and go off on every detail, but I'm just going to try to keep it simple here.  We'll see how that works (lol).  I'm not even going to get into what I wore or ate.  Frankly, I don't remember most of it!

Wednesday.  Speedwork day.  I knew I was going to get out later than I usually do because of my bizarro schedule that day.  It kind of concerned me that since I wasn't going to have my first thing in the morning buzz that I'd fall flat on my face.  Luckily, that wasn't the case.  This run couldn't have went any better.  I felt great from the first interval to the last.  I felt so good, that I lost track near the end and ended up doing an extra.  oops!  So, I ended up with a 1200m warmup, 9x400s with 200 recoveries, and then I cooled down until I hit the 5 mile point.  Woohoo!

Since the splits don't matter and I want to move on with this post I'll just say that overall I ran 5.02 miles in 43:00.  Average overall pace:  According to my watch and Endomondo, I even beat my fastest 5K time in there.  Even better.

What's important to note here is that in the days preceeding this run, every member of our household (except me) came down with some stomach virus/fever/puking/explodingbodilyfluids plague.  I bet you can't guess what happened Wednesday night.  Yep... by 6pm I felt like I got run over by a truck.  I had a the whole queasy/fever/barf thing happening.  What a way to end an otherwise awesome day.  Oh well.  Tis the life of a mom with kids in public school.

I stayed in bed pretty much all night and into Thursday (HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!), waking only to hit the bathroom, retake my temp, remedicate as necessary, take sips of water or Gatorade, and try to eat crackers.  At some point early Thursday morning, I was able to scarf down and keep down a cup of applesauce - yeah!  I just stayed in bed and went about my sick routine.  Thursday afternoon my fever broke and I started feeling "ok".  Of course, you know what was nagging me?  "I have a 3 mile run scheduled.  Must.  Run."  I ate some toast and a banana and felt good.  I tried to get back to some normalcy around the house and I'd say I felt around 85% well.  So, what did I do late that afternoon/early evening?  I went on my run after making sure that I still didn't have a fever.  That was either really stupid or really badass.  I'm going to go with a combination of the two.  But, at any rate, I got the run in, and to my amazement, it went pretty well.  Yeah, I didn't feel 100% awesome, but I ran easily and didn't feel too bad afterward.  I even ran negative splits.  For sake of time, again, I'm not going to go into it all, but overall I ran 3.13 miles in 29:27.  Average pace was 9:24.  Again - badass.  And kinda stupid.  At least I was smart enough to skip my strength training.

Now, there's a lovely thing that I don't think I've brought up here before because honestly it hasn't been an issue in exactly 2 years.  I have IBS/colitis.  Thankfully I've been in a "remission" of sorts for exactly 2 years this month.  Last time I had a bad flare up I ended up in AGH on a morphine drip because the pain was so bad and had to take 2 weeks off of work.  One of the things that triggers a flare up is - dingdingding - contracting a GI virus.  Lucky me!

Late Thursday I started to get "the bloat".  Now, a lot of women bitch about being bloated at least once a month.  When I talk about "the bloat" in regards to my IBS, I mean that my belly goes from being relatively flat (thanks planking and other core work!) to looking like I'm 4-5 months pregnant.  Seriously.  Can't button my pants, can't find a comfortable position, can't even freaking EAT sometimes because it feels like there's just no room.  In the middle of the night, the pain came full force.  I was so glad Friday is my rest day because I knew that's all I'd be doing.  Hail to the bland diet, anti imflammatory meds, and prayer.  I do not wish this on ANYONE!

I started to feel a bit better by Friday afternoon.  By Friday evening, my belly had gone down quite a bit.  I wasn't totally out of the woods, but I was hopeful that maybe since I'd be taking such good care of myself these past couple of years that I wouldn't be totally knocked on my ass by this yet again.  I wanted to see how I felt this morning (Saturday) before making a determination on my run.  Ok, who am I kidding, I was going to run one way or another, but I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do the 4 mile pace run I'd planned or have to scale it back to just a couple of easy miles.

This morning I woke up and felt really good.  Not 100%, but easily 95%.  So, yes, I was running and yes, I was going at my pace (hoping to be between 8:55-9:00).  Yet again, I never cease to amaze myself.  The run went so dang easy!  I felt great from start to finish (aside having a full bladder, which was my own stupid fault).  I came in a little on the fast side, but every time I looked down at my watch it either said 8:51 or 8:47 even though I felt like I was running slow, so by 2.5 miles I said screw it and just ran.  The run was over so fast I was disappointed.  I felt like I could have run many more miles at that rate.  I guess that's a good thing. Overall I ran 4.05 miles in 35:50.  Average pace: 8:50.  Shrug?

I'm sitting here now, after a very stressful day dealing with arguing children and some external family drama that I don't want to get into on here, and I'm thinking I'm starting to get some bloat back.  I'm hoping that it's no big deal and I wake up tomorrow feeling just as good if not better than I did today.  Tomorrow is long run day.  9 miles.  I don't want to have to miss out on that.  But at the same time I know my personal limitations.  We'll see what tomorrow brings!


No comments:

Post a Comment