Monday, February 18, 2013

Week 7 - good riddance!

My training in week 7 wasn't all bad, but I had many circumstances beyond my control that just made the week very frustrating (see those posts on sickness, etc.  bleh!).

I am totally praising God above that as of Sunday morning, my flareup is GONE.  DONE.  Woohoo!  Thank goodness this was a short lived one.  Hopefully I can go another 2 years without having another.  Fingers crossed!

I also want to point out that if my posting is really sporadic lately, there's a reason for it.  It will most likely continue over the next several weeks.  I apologize if you're somehow reading this Matt, because I know you hate people announcing their commitment, but for Lent this year I am focusing on unplugging for the night at a reasonable hour and spending some time actually winding down from my day.  This also allows me time to catch up on reading and prayer.  My iPhone is getting shut down at 6 pm (unless one of the kids is out past then and I'm waiting for contact), and my computer is getting shut down by 9:30.  This obviously puts me at a "time crunch" when it comes to social media and blogging, especially when my 3 year old is going through a phase where some nights he thinks that going to bed is an option, not a need.  So, if my blogs are spread out, haphazard and jumbled, etc, please forgive me.

Anyway, I was able to head out for my long run Sunday.  Whew!  Here's the funny thing.  I've been running pretty much all week in some state of sickness - either getting sick, being sick, or slightly getting over being sick.  My runs have been really good.  This particular day, I have no illness happening, I'm properly fueled (at least I think I was), and hydrated and had a great nights sleep.  This run was not easy!  Granted, I have never ran 9 miles before.  Ever.  Also, the weather was kind of crappy.  It was windy, 7 degrees, and snow was just blowing from every direction.  Most of the time the wind was right in my face and that not only hurts, but interferes with my breathing.  Excuses, excuses, I know.  The first two miles I kept trying to encourage myself that I did NOT have frostbite, no matter how numb my fingers and toes were.  Thankfully I was warmed up after 3 miles and felt ok.  The run went pretty well from there until around 6.5 miles when I started feeling like my legs weighed 50 lbs a piece.  I had planned - as usual - to take my gel around the 5 mile point.  I even had one of my faves - Clif chocolate.  mmmm.  Well, by that point it was partially frozen.  It was even hard to open.  I thought I was going to rip my damn teeth out. It took almost that entire mile to get it down.  It finally "hit me" maybe around 7 miles and I was able to push to the end.  I'm telling you though, I felt like I was running on dead legs until that surge hit. I think running against the wind just took a lot out of me.  I don't know.  It also didn't help that my watch was just giving me really screwed up info every time the wind and snow got really bad - which was pretty often.  I'd say I was going around 9:40, then it'd say 8:03 (no way) and then 17:56 (even worse), so I struggled with keeping my pace consistent.

But, oh well, I can whine all I want, but I got the run done.  I didn't die, didn't get injured, and I now have a new distance record.  I think after the week I've had I did pretty darn good.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 10:13
Mile 2 - 9:51
Mile 3 - 9:46
Mile 4 - 9:58
Mile 5 - 9:36
Mile 6 - 9:29
Mile 7 - 9:25
Mile 8 - 9:16 (can you say - gel surge?  wee!! lol)
Mile 9 - 9:24

Overall I ran 9.1 miles in 1:28:02.  Average pace was 9:40.  What a way to end this hectic week.

Oh, and another thing to add about this run was that I was wearing my new socks from ProCompression.  I don't know if they helped or not, really.  I'll try them out again next week.  If I have any complaint at all, it's the fact that they made my shoes kinda loose!  I was sliding around in them a bit more than I like.  I wonder if that was part of my problem?

So this week I really sucked at crosstraining.  Granted, I truly felt like I needed the rest day and I took it.  Then me and everyone else in the house got sick.  I can't control everything!  Sometimes you just have to roll with it.  Hopefully next week will be better.  By that I mean sick free!

This week I ran 25.88 miles in 4:00:07.  Average total pace: 9:17.  Hello speedwork.  I ran 4 hours this week!  4!

No comments:

Post a Comment