Sunday, March 17, 2013

SBBC Week 2 Wrapup!

This is the end of week 2 of the SBBC as well as the end of week 11/13 of my half marathon training!  Time sure flies, right?

I had a pretty hectic day yesterday so I did not get around to posting my workout or stats.  To sum it up:  I ran 5.07 miles in 44:21.  Average pace was 8:45.  This run went ok... definitely not as easy breezy as last week's Saturday 5 miler, but I got it done.  It didn't help matters that they were doing tree trimming at the park and had debris all over the road, so I felt at times like I was running like a football player running through tires just trying not to roll my ankle and fall on my face.  Not the best conditions for a pace run.  Disappointing, actually.  This was my last 5 mile pace run of my training plan.  I also did a forearm plank for 5:37.

The bottom pic was my pre run fuel: Old fashioned oats with unsweetened apple sauce, chia seeds, wheat germ, and cinnamon.

I did NOT do the WOW.  I did get in my water and fruits and vegetables.

Points (as of Saturday):
Drinking 64+ oz of water:  1
Eating 7+ servings of fruits and veggies:  1
Doing the WOW: 0
Doing 50 minutes of exercise: 5

Total points for Saturday: 7
Total points for the week (through Saturday): 43.5
Total overall challenge points (through Saturday):  107

Now to today:

12 miles.  12 flipping miles.  I'm still in shock that I ran that far today.  Again, it wasn't all easy.  Thankfully, they had some of the bigger tree pieces picked up and there wasn't as much to dodge as yesterday.  During the first lake loop I felt great.  Mile 1 I was all by myself trudging along, focusing on the "slow and steady" mantra.  Somewhere around mile 2 I picked up a lady who cut across the road to run in front of me.  She seemed to be running at about my pace (or at least a pace that felt good to me at the time), so I stayed behind her and let her pace me... lol.  Every time I would start to creep up on her, I'd know I was pushing my pace a little hard, so I stayed back.  This was actually pretty helpful.  At around 4.5 miles she ran in another direction than I was heading, so I lost my pacer.  Now I was on my own again - lol.  I actually feel kinda bad... I probably should have just caught up and introduced myself since I think I was freaking her out by following her and then hanging back when I'd catch up, but I'm a really shy person, normally.  Oh well.  And now that I've typed that out, I feel extra bad about possibly making someone uncomfortable on their run due to my selfishness due to my awkward social skills...  Maybe she didn't really notice?  It was really crowded as usual at NP today - heck I had some guy following me my last few miles.  I need to stop thinking about this before I drive myself nuts.

Anyway, loop 2, as usual is a little tougher.  I took some Vanilla Orange Roctane (I've heard good things about Roctane) for the first time at mile 5.  The flavor, while didn't make me barf, wasn't my favorite.  If any woman out there has had the gestational diabetes test where they make you drink that syrupy orange "soda" and then sit on your ass for an hour before getting a blood draw you know what this stuff tastes like.  It tasted just like that.  I think I'll be trying another flavor.  This stuff had a better effect on me than the Clif shots, but I don't know that it had any better effect than a standard GU.  Shrug?  So, I felt pretty good at miles 5 and 6.  Then I hit my standard "blah, this run is getting hard and might suck" point from miles 7-8.  This always happens to me and I don't know why.  I just hit this very low point that lasts about 1.5-2.5 miles and then like magic I snap out of it.  It's really crazy.  Around 9-something miles I felt good again.  My family was at the 10 mile point and I waved to them and gave as best a smile as I could and headed out for my little out and back.  So far in my training plan, I've been shying away from taking a second gel during my run even though I've felt the last 2 weeks that I could probably benefit from it.  I made a promise to myself that I would take one at 10 miles to help push me through those final 2 miles (and hopefully in less than 2 weeks, through those final 3.1!).  I brought a Hammer Nutrition Apple Cinnamon.  My first thought?  OMG this tastes like pie!  PIE!!  Pie was the best thing that could have happened to me after 10 miles... lol.  Not only was it absolutely delicious (seriously, I would put this on ice cream.  I've only ever said that about Espresso Love in the past.  ha!), but it worked!  I felt an effect in a short amount of time and it felt good!  Those last miles felt fantastic.  I seriously was bummed when mile 12 ticked off because I felt like I could have ran another mile today.  But, I kept myself in check and turned off my watch at 12.13 - just so I can say that I have less than a mile to go.  I walked the last little bit back to the van  :)

I have that mile in me.  I know I do.  We'll see how well I do on the 30th.  After my 3 mile run on Thursday, I'm doing a mini-taper, so next Sunday's long run will only be 10 miles.  My work here is done.  I hope!

Splits:  (they weren't negative, but I'm at peace with it.  At least mile 12 was the fastest!)
Mile 1 - 10:20
Mile 2 - 9:43
Mile 3 - 9:37
Mile 4 - 9:48
Mile 5 - 9:30
Mile 6 - 9:43
Mile 7 - 9:25
Mile 8 - 9:33
Mile 9 - 9:25
Mile 10 - 9:28
Mile 11 - 9:37
Mile 12 - 9:23

Overall I ran 12.13 miles in 1:56:45.  Average pace 9:37.  Other than general tiredness, I'm feeling great!  The benefit of doing a long run on St. Patty's Day is there's lots of Guinness to recover with! ;-)
Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

This week I ran 30.72 miles in 4:42:34.  Average pace: 9:12.  Moving right along!

I did NOT do the WOW again today.  I honestly forgot to even plank before my long run and afterward I certainly wasn't up for it.  I did do a short pushup plank, though, just so I don't lose my streak on #plankaday.
The top left pic is what I ate post run.  Egg white omelet with spicy salsa and a slice of Ezekiel Flax bread (first time I've had this kind.  Giant Eagle just got it in!  Woohoo!  It's great!) with light cream cheese.

Water:  Above and beyond, as is typical on long run days.
Fruits and veggies: I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I'm painfully honest.  No.  I didn't get them all in.  I think I'm at 5 servings?  I've just been all about the protein and carbs.  I had banana, berries, pineapple, cabbage and OJ.  Is salsa a veggie serving?  I guess it could be, but bottom line is I don't have 7+ today.  Oh well, it happens.  Especially on a holiday when I'm stuffing my face with corned beef, cabbage, soda bread (hey - that has raisins in it!  hehe) and beer.

Points:
Drinking 64+ oz of water:  1
Eating 7+ servings of fruits and veggies: 0
Doing the WOW:  0
Doing 120 minutes of exercise: 12

Total points for today: 13
Total points for Week 2 of the SBBC: 56.5  <-- a dip from last week, but I missed most days of doing the WOW and missed a day of fruits and veg.  It's ok.  I'll survive.
Total points for the SBBC:  120

I haven't had a change to check out next week's WOW, but I'm hoping it's something less jumpy.  I'll post my training plan for next week tomorrow morning.  Until then - cheers!  

2 comments:

  1. That's a solid week. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great week and 5:37 is a serious plank!

    ReplyDelete