Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Shouldn't Have Complained About the GU packets!

I've had one heck of a day here!  Not all bad, mind you, just busy and eventful.  I won't bore you to tears with every detail, but I will share some highlights (well, I think they are highlights, you call them what you will).

I woke up this morning feeling tired.  My littlest one has been having problems sleeping and the middle one is sick, so between the two PLUS my overprotective cat thinking he needs to sleep on my face lately, I'm just not resting at night like I should.  But, I need to get these runs in, and let's not forget that I'm the loon who will run with a stomach virus, fever, etc, so very little stops me.

I put my chilly weather gear on because when I left the temp was 32.  Boo.  I miss Spring-like temps already.  Heading out, I figured this would be one slog of a run, and thank goodness it was only scheduled to be an easy day anyway.  Well, I ended up surprising myself in feeling great once I got going.  Sweet.

So, I'm zipping along, feeling fantastic, finally awake, loving the weekday NP crowd (so friendly and happy!).  I was around a quarter mile or so from my stopping point when just ahead of me I saw something strange.  My thoughts went from: "is that a?", "no", "omg those look like balls", to "omg those ARE balls" "wtf is a dildo doing in the middle of the path", "I should stop and take a pic" (I didn't), and "I don't know whether to be grossed out or amused or both".  Then I laughed my way the rest of the way back to the van.  People running the opposite direction looked at me funny as I am literally barely holding on to any proper form of running at all from laughing so hard but I hope they realized why when they came upon that.  When Nick saw me he asked what was up and when I told him he asked if I took a pic.  No!  Sick!

I guess I shouldn't have griped about the litter in the park the other day.  Who knows what I'm gonna see next!  Yikes!

Anyway, my run went great.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:46
Mile 2 - 9:24
Mile 3 - 9:20
Mile 4 - 9:20
Mile 5 - 9:15

Overall: 5.06 miles in 47:40.  Average pace: 9:25.

I did a forearm plank for 5:09 and I also did the WOW today, although I had to wait until later in the day.  Not really because I didn't have the time, I just didn't have the desire.  I don't think I like this WOW very much.  Oh well, 5 more days to go before a new one.

For lunch (and for future snacking) I made the Chicken Chorizo Biscuits from Fit4HISGlory!  I knew I was going to love these, but wow.  They are fabulous!  My husband loves them too and they are full of good for you ingredients so you don't have to feel guilty eating them.  I made them pretty much as written (only used 1 T of pepper flakes, and I think next time I might even knock it down to 1/2 because they are really spicy!) and it was such a simple process.  I will be making these again.  Can't go wrong when one biscuit is less than 100 calories and has 8g of protein!  yum!

I also spent some time in the kitchen today making one of the last "winter" recipes for the season.  I made vegetable chowder (good way to pack in a few servings of veg in one bowl - hint hint!).  Leeks, potatoes, butternut squash, and pure deliciousness.  Serve it up with some good bread from Breadworks and I'm happy in veggieland.

I did a lot of other food prep for the week as well.  I pack lunches for my kids 3 out of the 5 days per week and I make sure they have fresh fruits and veggies.  Even if they don't eat everything I put in their bags I feel better for at least offering it to them instead of them picking out the garbage in the cafeteria.  It's astounding what they consider a "healthy" school lunch these days.  Not that today is much different from when I was a kid, but I want better for my kids, you know?  Just because it says "whole grain breading" doesn't mean that chicken nuggets are healthy.  And having "PB&J Uncrustables" as their second option isn't really amusing either.  I understand that the national school lunch program focuses on feeding hungry kids and I think that's fantastic.  I just wish there was a way to appropriately feed hungry kids, not just shovel the cheapest thing we can buy in bulk into their mouths.  And please, don't hear me sitting here saying I'm one of those perfect moms who feeds their kids a 100% organic diet and who would rather die than set foot in a fast food establishment.  Nope.  I couldn't afford 100% organic if I tried, but I buy what I can when I can.  As for the fast food?  I greatly limit it, but yes my kids have had meals that come with crappy toys.

Ok.  I just went on a huge rant I didn't intend to.  Sorry.  I'm touchy about some stuff, ok? lol

Back on track now.  I'm nervous about my run tomorrow.  It's my last day of speedwork intervals before the  race.  The 400s are always tough.  I just gotta get through them.

So, here's my SBBC wrapup for the day, starting with a pic:

Top:  1 - my wonderful leeks sauteed with olive oil and turkey bacon.  2 - Those awesome chorizo biscuits!! 
Middle:  1 - self explanatory
Bottom:  1 - my run map.  Typical 5.  2 - the finished product of my veggie chowder.  I know the pic makes it look almost like vomit and totally unappealing, but I promise you it is delicious and looks much better in person.

Water: Check.
Veggies and Fruit: Yep!  My chowder certainly helped with this.  Today I ate a banana, green grapes, grapefruit, grape tomatoes (I guess it was a grapey day?  lol), peppers, leeks, potatoes, and butternut squash (the last 3 were chowder ingredients.  I had a big bowl as well as many "tastes" along the way).

Points:
Drinking 64+ oz of water: 1
Eating 7+ servings of fruits and veg: 1
Doing the WOW: 1
Doing 62 minutes of exercise: 6

Total points for today: 9
Total points for this week: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment