Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The 4 "Seasons" of Western PA

Here in southwestern PA there are 4 distinct seasons.

1.  Winter.  Cold.  Snow.  Grey.  Depressing.
2.  Short glimpse of Spring.  Sunny and warm some days, but a whole lot of rain.
3.  Summer.  AKA Construction time.  Hot as hell.  So humid I can't keep my hair straightened.  Seems to last forever, and then out of nowhere Winter is staring you in the face.
4.  Fall.  What fall?  I think it lasts a week or so.  But really it just alternates between Summer and Winter until Jack Frost finally has his hold on.

Why am I bitching about this today?  Today has felt more like Summer than Spring.  I don't want to be skipping Spring already!

I don't normally mind 60-70 degree weather first thing in the morning.  That is, unless I'm running in it, which over the past year has become the norm.  Especially if its a speedwork day, like today was.  Then I really prefer those starting temps in the 40-50 degree range.  You know, like springtime!

I'll get to today's run in a moment.  First, lemme recap yesterday's super easy one.  The weather was great - not too warm, but right on that edge.  Really great for keeping my pace slow and easy.  I think my LunarGlide 4s are finally breaking in (I've only been using them for these weekday easy runs and sticking with my Adrenalines for everything else), because they just feel great.  I feel so light and "springy" when I'm running in them.  I don't know how long term of a shoe they are, because my Adrenalines rock for races, although they are heavy, but we'll see.  I don't have any interest in heading down the minimalist/barefoot road because I've struggled with wobbly ankles all my life, so I need the stability.  But having a nice and light shoe sure feels good during these easy runs.

Here's about the only thing that sucked about yesterday's run:  the Feetures socks.  This was my second time wearing them.  The last time was for my easy 2 mile shakeout run before JASR.  I actually got the socks in my race packet from that race.  I will say that the cushioning in the toe and heel is fantastic.  I love that part.  I also like the compression in the middle, which is pretty similar to my SmartWools.  My problem is the style.    I have a problem with low cut socks.  I can't do no show, low cut with tab (like these are) or anything like that.  I need a sock that comes up over the shoe by quite a bit.  I have very sensitive heels and ankles and if I wear any sock with any shoe that leaves those areas exposed it means blister city for me.  I had hopes of these socks working out because of the tab in the back, but no luck.... I didn't notice it during the short 2 miler, but I sure did toward the end of this 5.  Thankfully I didn't have any broken skin at the end of my run, so I'm ok.  But, these socks go into the "no" pile.  Boo.  Maybe I'll try to get a pair in a mini crew if they have them because I did like the way they felt on my feet.

That said, I had a great and very easy run overall.  5.03 miles in 47:02.  Average pace: 9:20.  I also did a forearm plank, and got in my fruits and veggies as well as the water.


Yesterday's activities.

Now for today's sweatfest. It was already 70 degrees when I started my run.  oof.  I was fine during my warmup and the first 400 or two, but after that it was a battle of sheer will due to how hot I was - and I was wearing thin shorts and a singlet!  I must say, though, that my intervals went really well.  I was able to stay on track and not fall below my target pace on every repeat.  I had a moment of "omg I might blow chunks all over the road" on the sixth, which seems to be typical for me, but that ended up being my fastest (I was running at a 6:58 pace during that one!!).  I was talking to myself through the 7th and 8th, trying to convince myself that I was almost done, and then the 9th felt like it was easy again (admittedly, my 9th repeat was my slowest, but still on target for pace).  I was happy to be able to slow it down at the end... I was ridiculously hot.  Thank God for my BondiBand sucking up all the sweat on my head.

Overall I ran 5.03 miles (hey - same as yesterday!) in 41:48.  Average pace (not that it matters, but it makes me giggle) was 8:18.  Can't complain about ending up a total sweaty mess after that!

I did a pushup plank today while listening to the new The Band Perry album.  I love it!  Very good stuff from them.


Notice the temp there?  That screenshot was taken a bit before I went to run this morning.  Eek.  
The Chobani bite stuff was DIVINE!  It was coffee flavored with chocolate chips.  I felt so guilty eating it, but it was only 100 calories and had 8g of protein!  Perfect for a midday snack.  
The bottom 2 pics made up my lunch today - a baked sweet potato with cinnamon and a huge salad with tomato, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, radicchio, baby greens and goat cheese.  Yummy!

I haven't done the WOW in a couple of days again.... I've been so lax about it, but honestly it is more of a fear of doing too much just for the sake of getting some points.  Depending on how I feel at the gym tomorrow, maybe I'll do it.  If not, I'm sure I will do it on Friday as part of my "rest".

I did drink way over 64 oz of water today (Did you read the part about being hot??) and I got in all my freggies.  I made a huge pot of Veggie Stew for dinner and had a big salad and a sweet potato for lunch, so that really boosted my numbers.  Add in my post run banana and my other snacks and BOOM.  Freggies in the belly!

Points for Tuesday and Wednesday:
Drinking 64+ oz of water:  2
Eating 7+ servings of fruits and veg:  2
Doing the WOW:  0
Doing 100 minutes of exercise:  10

Total points for Tuesday and Wednesday:  14
Total points for Week 6 of the SBBC:  22
Total points for the SBBC:  278

Gym day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment