Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Training Schedule Week of 4/01/2013-4/07/2013

First, let me be real here.  I just ran a half marathon 3 days ago.  When I originally made up my training plan back in December (dang, time flies!) I was totally naive to how I would feel and recover after this first half.  The Pittsburgh Half is on Cinco de Mayo and was actually my original "goal" race.  I registered for it the day it opened when they were having a discount for a couple of hours... lol.  I only signed up for JASR after much going back and forth as to whether I'd be ready for a half earlier than I thought.  Also, it was for a great cause.  After losing my Grandma to Hodgkin's Lymphoma back in 2000, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has a special place in my heart.  To top it all off... March 30th would have been my Grandma's 70th birthday.  Needless to say, I ran this race for many reasons.  I pretty much figured that I'd just be able to redo the last few weeks of the same training plan again to prepare for Pittsburgh.  (you can go ahead and laugh at me, it's ok)  Now that I'm 3 days out and went for a run this morning, I think I'm going to have to switch it up a little bit.

Monday:  I did the SBBC WOW and did a forearm plank.  I also did some stretching and foam rolling.  I've been foam rolling around twice a day since the race.  I don't want to overdo it, but at the same time it really does help a lot.
Tuesday:  I had originally planned on going for a 3-4 mile easy (of course) run.  This morning I did 3.51.  It wasn't really hard, but I did feel tired and my legs kept alternating between feeling just fine to feeling like they weighed 100 lbs a piece.  My left calf is also still pretty tight.  I'm going to spend some time today looking into some different types of stretches or exercises that will help relieve that.  It's not painful, just annoying.  I also did a pushup plank for a little over 5 minutes.  I don't think I'll be doing the WOW today, but I'll try to give it another go tomorrow.
Wednesday:  40 minute tempo run.  Ha.  I don't know that I'm going to be up for a tempo run by tomorrow morning.  So, unless I wake up feeling fabulous and free of this calf stiffness, I'll just be going out for 40 minutes EASY.  That I know I can handle.
Thursday:  3 miles EASY plus strength.  I'm sure I'll be fine with this.  I just might need to go light on some weights.  We'll see.
Friday:  REST
Saturday:  4 miles @ HM pace.  Again, I'm taking a "we'll see" approach to this.  Maybe I'll just do a few miles easy and then 1 at pace.  Or some other combo.
Sunday:  10 miles LONG RUN  <-- I'll say it again.... we'll see.  I would like to get at least 8 in, but my goal is 10.

I'm just really planning on staying flexible this week.  My body just accomplished something I never thought possible and it's normal to be feeling some effects from that.  I definitely don't want to be so anal retentive about a schedule I made 3 months ago that I'm going to risk hurting myself.  So, if I gotta go easy tomorrow, easy it is.  If I gotta go all easy miles on Saturday, that's cool too.  If my long run is only 8 miles - hey, I remember when my "long runs" were a whopping 5 miles.  It's all good.  :)

Before I forget (again), yesterday's points:
Drinking 64+ oz of water:  1
Eating 7+ servings of veggies and fruit: 1
Doing the WOW:  1
Doing 19 minutes of exercise:  1.5

Total points for Monday:  4.5
Total points for week 5 of the SBBC:  4.5
Total points for the SBBC:  215


Either later or tomorrow I want to post about what I think worked for me this training cycle and what I think didn't.  These were musings I wrote down while lying in bed the other night.  I have some things that I want to try and some things that I won't do again.  I've also been talking to Nick a lot about what happens after the Pittsburgh Half.  I'm signed up for the Great Race in September, but I'd like to do at least 1 half in the fall.  Nick said I should start training for a full marathon.  I laughed and told him I already made that decision during mile 12 of JASR... lol (that's the honest truth) I'm just going to wait a bit longer to be ready for that.  Next year... next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment