Monday, May 13, 2013

Now What?

I don't have a race officially registered for until the Great Race 10K in September.  Way too far out to start "training" for, and I will put in some decent training specifically for that because I'd love a significant 10K PR.  I'm also kicking around doing the Liberty Mile in August and a 5K sometime in August as well, to fit in with my 10K training plan.  I'm still looking at a fall half to round out my year.  The kids want to do a Halloween race together, and I think that will be fun.  Then maybe I'll do a Turkey Trot or other late 2013 holiday race.

As for now, I'm going to work on building my mileage back up and hitting a mileage peak of around 35 mpw.  I'm not going to do a bunch of structured speedwork until I start officially training for the Great Race. I may add some strides/bursts to some runs, but I'm just going to keep my focus on easy and injury free to build the miles.  I've used my Polar a couple of times and I'm having some issues with it.  When it works, it's great.  Unfortunately it is finicky and unless it is positioned perfectly or perfectly moistened or whatever it fizzles out on me after 5-15 minutes.  My heart rate information that I've gathered so far seems to be right where I expected.  I just wish I could keep the HRM working consistently.  I may be calling Polar for help if I can't seem to keep it going.

I'm also out running with Tori a couple of times a week, although at this point I don't add those miles to my weekly total since our ratio of walking to running is more walking.  I know that will change in time, so I'll have to factor in my own running with that to make sure I'm not overdoing it.  I'm having a blast trudging through the park with her, though.  :)

Last week I ran 24 miles.  I did a 4 mile run on Wednesday, 5 miles on Thursday, 5 miles on Saturday, and then 10 miles on Sunday.  I felt pretty good during each, although I so have a slight knee niggle going that I can't totally blame on running.  Let's call it - kids jump on mom knee.  In fact, it doesn't even bother me while I'm running, just when I'm sitting down.  I'll keep tabs on it and will take care of myself as needed.

The only thing that totally bothered me during my long run this weekend was my Amphipod handheld!  I've never had this kind of issue with it before, but I wasn't even 1/2 a mile into the run when I noticed that the bottle was leaking like crazy and dripping down my arm, etc.  I tried fiddling with the lid and drinking some of the fluid I had in it in case it was overfilled (the only time I ever had a slight leak with it, that was the issue), but nothing seemed to help.  The cover was sopping wet the entire run and when I was done my hands were sticky and chapped from being wet with gatorade and the whipping chilly wind.  Boo.  Hopefully this was a one time problem, but I guess we'll see.  I have my iFitness belt sitting in an online shopping cart, but I haven't had it in me to hit "checkout" yet.

Another thing I need to get my ass back in gear with is going to the gym for the weights.  I've been slacking big time on this just due to time constraints, but I need to figure it out.

That's pretty much it, really.  This week I hope to get 5 runs in - two 3 milers, a 4, a 5, and another 10.  Ten miles seems to be my "comfortable" long run at this point.  It's not incredibly strenuous, but I feel like I've done more work than just the daily run.  Hopefully over time I'll be able to say 10 miles is "just a short run".  lol.  Or not.  We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment