Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Focus T25 Day 3 Update

I had a few spare minutes and just wanted to update on my first 3 days of Focus T25.

Wow.  Just wow.  I must say that I didn't expect this.  What did I expect?  Well, I expected a reasonably challenging 25 minute cardio blast that would make me break a bit of a sweat and burn some calories.  I did not expect a 25 minute ass kicking that would make my mind go back and forth between the extremes of "I'm in better shape than I thought" to "Holy crap, I'm old and not in shape at all - HELP ME!".  Tonight as I sit here I am sore in places I don't think I've ever been sore before.  My legs right below my ass HURT.  My upper arms ache.  I feel like I just added 20 lbs to everything I lift at the gym and decided to do an extra set of everything too for kicks.

Alpha Cardio:  I covered this in my previous post.  A challenge, yes, but doable with no modifying.

Tuesday I went on a 4 mile easy run, which really didn't end up to be easy at all.  The first half went pretty well, but then the sky opened up and it started to downpour and I had to literally race home.  By the time I got back to my street I was soaked to the bone, my shoes were sopping wet and squishy, and my leg was a little achy again.  Boo.  I haven't tested it yet, but I hope my Nike+ sensor still works.  The water on the corners was literally almost to my ankles on the way home.  Bad news for my shoes.  They are still wet even today!!

Anyway, when I got home and dried off I pushed play on Speed 1.0.  I actually had a lot of fun with this workout.  It was challenging, but then there were stretches in between the hard work.  It kind of reminded me of an awesome intervals run - you go all out as hard as you can for a certain period of time and then you get a short (very short) recovery before having to go back at it again.  Like I said, I had a lot of fun with it.  And just for the record, my leg/ankle/foot doesn't bother me at ALL during the T25 workouts.  If it ever does, I'll be honest about it.  I do wonder if it is a difference in shoes?

See all that glistening sweat?  I promise I was totally dried out from my run before starting this.  When Shaun T says you're gonna work for 25 solid minutes, you work!

This morning when I woke up I was a little sore - upper hamstrings and glutes, mainly - but I wasn't going to let that stop me from trying out Total Body Circuit.  I was a little nervous about this one because a lot of people, including my Coach told me that this was the hardest workout of the set.  But I ate half of a Pure Protein bar and got to work.

Oh. My.  God.  I have not had any doubts about my physical capabilities until now.  Holy crap!  I wish I had a HRM on because I bet a burned a ton of calories today - much more than MyFitnessPal wants to give me for the generic "Aerobics, High Impact" setting I've been using for my T25 workouts.  This was an intense workout that really did work the entire body.  It included squats, lunges, planks, plankwalking, burpees, pushups, etc in super fast succession.  Now, I'll admit I've only been able to do "real" pushups for a short period of time, so having to do fancy ones like supermans and plankwalk pushup combos was very challenging for me!  During the burnout phase I was whimpering and had tears in my eyes and on those last few supermans I did use the modifier.  Immediately after I stopped the DVD I texted my husband saying "FYI Total Body Circuit made me cry".  I'm not going to feel bad about it, though because I gave it my all and I bet by the end of these 10 weeks I'll be better at them.  This workout just kicked my butt!

Tomorrow I'm going to give Ab Intervals a go.  I'm hoping I'll enjoy it because I've always loved ab workouts.  That reminds me, after Total Body Circuit today I did 5 minutes of planks - 1 minute each of forearm, pushup, reverse, and sides.  :)

Since we've just had the storm from hell blow through here it seems, I'm also NOT going to attempt my 4 mile run outdoors in the morning.  My plan is to do T25 first thing when I get up, then hit the gym for my run and strength training afterward.  Of course, we'll see how that works out.

I'm feeling really good.  I'm having my "I just wanna run" moments, but I remind myself that what I'm doing is a good thing.

As far as nutrition goes, I've been spot on!  I'm quite proud of that.  No cleaning up the kids plates, no desserts, lots of water and lots of pre-planning and prepping.  I always make better decisions if I already have half the work done for me.  I'm lazy like that.

Sweat on, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment