Sunday, August 4, 2013

Another Week and Another Year Gone By.

My boy Vincent turns 7 years old today!!

The little stinker is actually still in bed, but that's ok.  It's still summer vacation and it is his birthday, after all.  We'll have a full day and night of fun ahead once he's up and about.  For our dinner tonight he wants a Hawaiian pizza and a Veggie Lovers pizza.  Well, at least we're eating fruits and vegetables, right?  haha.  For the party we're having marble cake with buttercream icing.  It has a fire truck on it.  He couldn't decide between a Fireman party, another Star Wars party, or a Lego party, so we're doing an odd combo.  Whatever works!  The cake is fire truck and the decorations and plates and stuff are Star Wars and Lego.  Suits Vince perfectly.  :)  For ice cream, he wanted Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Yes, I am highly looking forward to the food today.  It'll be a nice little break from my norm.  But I'll be back on track tomorrow.  At least mostly.  ;)

I just finished Week 4 of the Alpha phase of Focus T25!  It's been a pretty productive week around here, actually.  I won't disclose too much just yet, but we're making some positive changes and things are looking better for the future.  That is always a good thing.  Praise God.

Anyway, here's what I've accomplished fitness-wise since Monday!

Tuesday:  I ran a little over 4 miles in fall-like 50ish degree weather. Bliss!  I followed that up by doing Total Body Circuit with no modifications!  Yeah!!

Wednesday:  Another 4 miler.  This one was a little tougher... it was one of those runs where it seemed like it took forever to just warm up and get a feel for the run.  Then by the time I got there, it was almost over.  Oh well, it happens.  I still got through it in a decent time.  After the run I did Lower Focus, which actually went a bit better than the run.  It felt really good.

Thursday:  When I woke up, it was pouring rain.  I wasn't in the mood for a wet run, especially since this is my "beast mode" day, so I waited a bit to see if it would stop.  It didn't (at least not soon enough for me), and I knew that I needed to get my day moving, so I pushed play on Total Body Circuit and planned to just get to the gym and run on the mill before strength training.  Being that I was already in kind of a crappy mood, it made TBC a bit tougher, but I got through - again, no modifying but I did slow the pace at the end.

After a quick recovery and getting the kids up, I headed to the gym where I got a bit over 5 miles in on the treadmill.  Running after Total Body Circuit officially sucks, and I hope never to have to do that again.  My legs felt like crap and it was really hard to just get going.  The first bit of the run felt like I was struggling to slog through in "recovery mode", but thankfully after a couple of miles my spark kicked up into a flame and I felt pretty good.  I finished pretty strong, so that made it ok.

My strength training went pretty well except the shoulder press.  Note to self:  After all those freaking pushups in TBC your shoulders are trashed.  Yeah.  I even had to take OFF 5 lbs to complete my last set because I felt so weak.  Boo.  Everything else went just great, though, so I can't complain too much.

Friday:  T25 "Double Day" started with Ab Intervals this week.  I'm definitely able to put more into this workout and get more out of it when I do it first.  I felt a lot stronger on the holds, that's for sure.  This weeks "bonus" workout was Speed 1.0, which as I previously posted was the final Speed 1.0 workout for T25.  I put all I had into it knowing this.  I really enjoy Speed 1.0, but you already knew that.

Saturday:  Rest day.  Full disclosure:  I didn't even get out of PJs.  Victoria wasn't feeling well, the weather was just "meh", and we really didn't have anything to do.  So I took it easy but I got a lot done around the house.  Nick and I went through some boxes we had in the basement and cleaned out some stuff.  We ended up with a large amount of stuff to donate and a heap of just junk to throw out.  Funny how that works - how you can just accumulate "stuff" over the course of time.  Glad to be rid of things we don't need or really want!  I'm finally hitting the point of letting go of baby stuff that I know now we'll not be needing anymore.  It is selfish to hold on to things that are still in decent working condition when others could use them.  It just took me some time to get over the sting of my doctor telling me "no more babies" when I had always planned on 4.  But anyway - that was my Saturday.

Sunday:  When I woke up at the crack of dawn this morning it was raining again.  Instead of getting stressed out about it, I took a look at the radar map and it looked like it was about to blow over so I just went back to bed for a half hour.  When I got up, it was cloudy but fine so I threw on my clothes and got out the door.  I originally only planned on 6 miles, but then I figured I'd just do the "go for an hour" thing.  I felt really fantastic on this run.  I seriously feel stronger than I probably ever have.  I didn't gawk at my watch very much and just did what I've been doing on these timed runs - just keep things as they feel good.   I had one point around 5 miles where I thought I might be starting to fade a bit, but I refocused and realized that my form had gotten sloppy, so once I focused and corrected myself I felt back to fantastic again.  Focus T25 has really helped with this - more often than not I'm thinking "what is my focus here" and it gets me through.  At exactly the 1 hour point, I was at 6.9 something and I had to give myself another minute so I could get to 7 miles.  It would have driven me crazy if I didn't.  Plus, it may have "earned" me that extra lick of frosting later... lol  ;)  It was a really great run, though.

When I got home, I did T25 Stretch.  I know I've expressed my love for this routine after longer runs before.  Today is no exception.

So - another great week has passed!  I did T25 as scheduled, hit the gym, and got all my miles (plus some) in.  I ran 20.37 miles overall.  I've been feeling great about my strength and my pace during my runs.  I think I might need to redo my upper body strength training soon, but I want to see what Beta phase of Focus T25 brings before doing anything drastic.  It includes an "Upper Focus" workout and the use of dumbbells or resistance bands in a few workouts.

Nutritionally speaking, this has been a fairly clean week.  I did share a vanilla cone with Nick the other day.  I've been trying to be more conscious about eating more, especially on "beast mode" day and fueling/recovering from workouts better.  That reminds me, I haven't used chia seeds in several weeks (most of the recipes in the Insanity/P90X/T25 plans call for the use of flaxseeds, but not chia).  I've been wondering if that has played a part in my feeling kinda "blah" and almost hitting that "bonk" point sooner in longer runs.  So, last night I had a bowl of oatmeal with blackberries, chia seeds and almond milk.  This morning I had my typical banana before my run and I didn't even come close to hitting a wall, other than the point where I noticed my form was bad.  Now, I'm not going to jump up and down and say "the chia seeds did it!!", but I will experiment again with it next week and see what happens.  If I have another great run, the chia seeds stay a permanent part of my fueling process.

I'm off to put my face in a cake now!  (just kidding.  But I am going to get the birthday fun rolling!)

No comments:

Post a Comment