Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Bakin' Bacon

Bacon is one of those things I can't help loving.  The smell, the sizzle, the crunchy parts, the more chewy parts, how it makes me smile on a bad day... can't be sad with bacon.  I don't eat it very often anymore, and when I do it's usually turkey and low sodium if I can find it.  This morning I baked up a big ol' batch of bacon to use for BLTs, kiddo breakfast, whatever for the next few days.  I don't fry my bacon anymore ever since I learned the trick for making a large amount of perfect flat strips of bacon in the oven.  Pop those sexy strips on a baking sheet, and throw them in the oven for 10 mins (400 degrees).  Pull the sheet out, drain off some of that grease, and flip the strips.  Back into the oven they go for another 10 minutes while every person in your household comes wandering into kitchen like zombies drooling like fiends.  Enjoy slapping their hands away from the hot cookie sheet as it comes out of the oven as you remind them that you plan on draining these lovely slabs of "meat" on paper towels for a few minutes.  I mean, yeah, you're making bacon but you still care about all that grease going into the body, right?  Ha!

And just do you all don't think I'm going off the deep end and starting to eat junky foods, I also cooked up a big batch of organic quinoa to use for the next couple of meals too.  Sweet potatoes too.  ;)

This is one of only 2 food pics I took this week!  The other one is the same chicken, rice and a steamed veggie blend instead of the big pile of yummy carrots.  Haha.  I guess I've just been so hungry at meals this week that I've eaten before taking pics.  Oh well - real life wins!

Remember my posting that I made some banana bread last week?  Well, I just thought I'd share how it went over.  It was an NSA banana bread recipe I found on Pinterest.  I had to tweak it just a bit for the ingredients I had - I didn't have any whole wheat flour, just AP.

Here is the original post: No Sugar Added Banana Bread

You can click through to see the recipe as written.  Like I said, the only change I made was using all AP flour instead of the whole wheat blend and I did use the applesauce instead of oil.  I usually do that anyway.

It smelled great and cooked through well, taking just a few minutes over the listed time in the recipe.  I let it cool, forcing myself to hold back from the "hot out of the oven" temptation.

According to MyFitnessPal, with the ingredients I used each serving (8) was 166 calories, 34g carbs, 1g fat, 5g protein, and 2g of fiber.  Not too bad for a baked good, eh?

The kids each had a serving.  My daughter ate all of hers and said it was yummy but didn't want anymore the next day, which in her little way of speaking says "It was just ok".  My middle kid ate most of it and when I asked if he wanted to finish it, he fussed about it and said he didn't want it.  And like his sister, he never asked for more.  The youngest is in the "eat 3 bites of everything at every meal and lose all focus" stage of life, so he doesn't count.  So, I'm guessing the kids really didn't love it.

As for me, I thought it was pretty good - especially if you weren't/aren't expecting super sweet dessert like food.  That's fine with me, honestly.  My husband had a couple of slices of it and never complained.  Usually I can tell when he doesn't really like something I've made because he'll either a) drown it in some condiment or b) do the same thing as the kids and eat it one time and then let the rest fester in the fridge/cabinet and act like I don't notice it.  ;)

It did have a texture unlike "real" banana bread.  It was dense and spongy.  Again, that doesn't bother me, but some people might be taken aback by it.

I'd make it again, but I would make a couple of modifications for personal preference.  First, I would add more spice.  1/2 t of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice just didn't cut it for me.  I'd add 1t at least of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg.  Second, I'd add nuts.  Banana bread just needs nuts for me.  Lastly, I think I'd try muffins instead of the bread!  I think this kind of texture just lends itself more toward muffins than bread.

Overall, though, a very good find!  More proof that you can bake with healthier options!

No comments:

Post a Comment