Saturday, August 17, 2013

STATurday - first week of Beta edition

It's another STATurday already, and with that comes my weekly accountability post with my progress thus far.

Since week 5:
Weight:   +1.3
Chest:   -.5"
Waist:   +.25"  <--- it really is like +.18 or something, but I'm rounding to the nearest quarter here
Arm:   no change
Thigh:   -.5"
Body Fat:   +1.8%

Total since beginning Focus T25:
Weight:   -5.1 lbs
Chest:   -1.5"
Waist:   -.5"
Arm:   +.5"
Thigh:   -.5"
Body Fat:   -2.1%

So, the weight went up a little!  Like I said before, I'm not after weight loss so I am fine with that... in fact it is a bit of a relief.  Now, there could be several things factoring in with that.  1) Last week's reading could have just been flat wrong.  2)  It's PMS time around here, so that naturally leads to a gain somewhere.  3) I have been trying to eat more and using MFP to at least come close to "eating back" my calories.  4) I have had a couple of treats this week in between all my healthy eating.  The other day we went to Baskin Robbins (I got frozen yogurt, but that's still not the healthiest thing ever), and yesterday I baked banana bread (it was no sugar added, no sweeteners at all other than the bananas and applesauce).  5)  I just simply haven't burned as many calories this week as last.  I'll get to that in a second.  

I am glad to see change finally in my thighs.  I'm a little sad to see the waist go back up a bit, but I have some bloat (see #2 above) that could be contributing to that.

Now I said yesterday that I was going to give my initial impression of the Beta phase workouts in this post.  Well, they are absolutely not what I had expected at all!  I can't tell for sure if it is a good thing or bad thing at this point, so we'll have to see how things go so I can give a proper review at the end of the cycle.  What I will say is that aside from Core Cardio and Speed 2.0 the calorie burn isn't there.  Which, to me, is a little bit of a letdown.  

Calorie burns this week:
Core Cardio:  255 Monday, 228 Friday (I was tired after all the workouts the day before plus Upper Focus directly before, so admittedly I wasn't going all out this day)
Speed 2.0:  265
Rip'T Circuit:   135
Dynamic Core:   134
Upper Focus:   126

Now compare that with the 2 workouts from Alpha phase that I have stats for:
Total Body Circuit:  225
Lower Focus:   182
and I can tell you that based on perceived exertion I burned around TBC with Alpha Cardio and Speed 1.0.  Ab Intervals was more than likely lower than LF.

So far the "fun factor" in Beta is spot on.  The workouts are interesting, challenging, and FUN.  But, to me, they are easier than Alpha.  Especially Rip'T Circuit, which I expected to be a revamped Total Body Circuit, and in my opinion was the easiest workout in the set!  I even did that workout immediately following my speedwork run!  I guess I came into Beta expecting to get my butt handed to me, but instead I'm sitting here saying "really?  That's it?".

And with that I'd better get on with my day... lol  I said I was going to wait to give a proper review and I'll stick with that plan and give myself a chance to work these workouts to their (and my) fullest potential.  

Have a great weekend everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment