Tuesday, August 27, 2013

There's espresso in that shake!

So, I saw a recipe (thanks again, Pinterest) for a protein shake that had espresso in it.  And maple syrup.  And chocolate.

I was all over that today.

I wish I had a pic to show you, but I'm sitting here with an empty cup.  lol  I felt like a naughty girl drinking this even though, given the ingredients I used, it was only 243 calories.  Totally freaking decadent.

It was so good I text Nick about it.  He wants me to have one ready for him when he gets home.  Maybe I'll take a pic then, but honestly, it just looks like any other chocolate based protein shake.  But it sure tastes like a yummy dessert.  Better than anything I've gotten from the Greentree Road Starbucks lately (do you guys even put coffee IN your coffee anymore?).

Mocha Maple Shake
1 cup water
2 scoops chocolate protein powder (your choice of brand and type!)
1 teaspoon instant espresso (or 1 serving of premade espresso, but you may need to cut down on the water)
1 tablespoon chopped pecans
2 tablespoons maple syrup (I used sugar free)
1 cup of ice or to your preference - I used 6 standard cubes

Blend it!

Just a few of the other things that I've been consuming:

Turkey Bacon BLT with a sliced up pear sprinkled with cinnamon!

And, my favorite meal of the week - Chicken Stir Fry!  First, you take some sliced mushrooms (about 1 package, 2 if you have big mushroom lovers in your crew), a whole head of broccoli (or if you're lazy like I was this time, a whole big bag of frozen pre-chopped florets), and either sugar snap peas or snow peas and throw them in a big skillet or wok.  Cook them until crisp-tender... not until they're wilted and dead!


Then, add your meat - I used 3 chicken breasts that I had cooked and chopped previously.  You could also go with shrimp, slices of flank steak, whatever floats your boat:


Then add a splash of this:
Have I professed my love of Trader Joe's yet?  I love it so much it is worth the drive!

Then add a glug or three of this:

A few shakes of this make it extra special.  Just trust me.  No Penzeys near you?  First off, I'm sorry.  You're truly missing out.  Second, you can get other 5 Spice Powders in your local supermarkets, usually:

Stir that all together until it's just how you like it.  It's one of those "to your taste" kind of dishes that you need to figure out for yourself.  I will tell you that the a little of the Sesame Oil goes a long way - I rarely use more than a tablespoon for the whole pot.  Finally, you've got this:
Nom Nom.  I think I just got hungry again.

Serve it over some brown rice and you've got a great meal that takes very little time to throw together, and is more delicious and healthy than takeout!

1 comment: