Sunday, August 18, 2013

Week 1 of Beta Phase Complete - Weekly Review

I hope you're all having a wonderfully relaxing Sunday afternoon (or morning, or evening, depending on where you are)!

You feel that?  I do!  Endorphins, baby!  haha... I had a great long run earlier.  I'll get to that in a bit, but first let's cover what I did since Monday, ok?

Tuesday:  I had an easy 5 miler planned, but it wasn't all that easy.  I was super tired due to lack of sleep the night before (kids), and I just wasn't feeling it from the start.  It felt like it took the entire run to get warmed up and I just never settled into a comfortable pace.  I got it done, but again, it wasn't marvelous.

After the run I was apprehensive of what Speed 2.0 might bring.  I've heard that it's tough, there's no breaks, blah blah blah.  But, I sucked it up and pushed play after stretching out a bit.  OMG it was freaking awesome!!  By far my favorite T25 workout of the entire series.  It was sheer fun and excitement.  By the end of it, I was even going "woohoo" at the TV with the rest of the crew.  I broke a hell of a sweat, burned 265 cals according to my HRM and had a blast.  No, there were no breaks.  Yes, it was really fast and hardcore.  I loved it.  I can't wait to do it again.  Just goes to show you that different things appeal to different people.

Wednesday:  Speedwork day.  Let me be honest here:  I've been scared as hell of this workout.  Unlike the pain of childbirth/pregnancy that you forget immediately, I still have not forgotten how much running 400s hurts and sucks.  But, I know it has to be done or I have no chance at a PR anytime anywhere.  So, when the alarm went off at 6 something, I jumped out of bed just to get this over with.  The sooner you're out there, the faster you run, the faster you're done, right?  Well, as it usually happens, the first few intervals felt like a challenge, but still easy enough.  The last half?  Especially the last two?  That's when I have to convince myself that I'm almost done and to please not puke.  Then on the way home I feel better and by the time I get home and get stretched and re-hydrated I'm all like "I'm awesome!".  Ha!  I'm happy to say that I nailed all 8 of my 400s at or faster than my goal pace and I have survived to tell the tale.  ;)

I was a little concerned that my legs would be in really crappy condition after this run to do Rip'T Circuit.  But, again, I went for it.  I had no reason to worry at all.  This workout was really really really easy.  Disappointingly so.  Total Body Circuit is much harder and I expected this one to be a revved up version of that.  In true circuit training form, this workout takes you through bursts of cardio, then onto weights, then abs, etc.  However, and I know I've complained about this with regards to TBC, the transitions are so haphazard and fast that by the time you get your weights or put them down and get into position (in proper form) for the next move, Shaun is halfway done with that set and you're stuck with 2 options.  1) keep following along and work your sides in an uneven manner and/or get less of a workout OR 2) pause the DVD to get your reps in, and again debunk the whole "25 minutes a day" thing because you need more time.  Shaun starts heading toward the next move before the first one is even done as he's wandering around, and while he has that extra time to get to his weights or onto his mat, I'm stuck with the decision of quitting the current one early or picking one of the 2 choices above.  It's just something that annoys me.  I'm hoping that after a couple of times of doing this workout I'll figure out a system for myself to getting it all done.  I'm not saying this is a terrible workout - it isn't.  It has great, effective moves.  I just have to figure out how to make it work for me.  That's all.  Again, different things for different people.  Oh, and I prefer to use dumbbells instead of the bands.

Thursday:  I woke up to a chilly, fall like 50 degree morning.  Hooray!  I opted for capris instead of shorts, but still had short sleeves going.  My legs were a little sore and needed a bit of loosening up, which is understandable given the abuse I gave them on Wednesday, but after I got going I felt fantastic.  Another 5 wonderful miles on the North Shore!

After I got home I got right to Dynamic Core.  Wow.  This is a wicked ab workout!  There's just a little more cardio in it than I would prefer in a true total Abs routine, but I understand why and it's cool.  There are some fierce moves in this one.  If your abs aren't screaming at the end of this workout, then either 1) you're in far better shape than I am or 2) you're doing it wrong.  lol  I think this is a much more intense workout than Ab Intervals, but each has their merit.

I headed up to the gym for my beast mode weights training.  ;)  I felt awesome and I was able to increase some weights in some areas I'd been holding back on (biceps curl, especially).

Friday:  Upper Focus time!  I was quite sore from Thursday's gym workout, but I gave it my all.  I used my 8 lb dumbbells and that seemed to be ok.  This was a pretty good workout.  It gave me the lowest calorie burn according to my HRM of any T25 workout, but that's because there's hardly any cardio.  But, given the goal of this particular workout, that's understandable.  I liked it, although looking ahead in my training schedule, I don't know that I'd schedule this on top of a gym day.  I'll see what happens.  I do have to say it bothered me when Shaun T said that ladies won't get big biceps because... well, I want bigger biceps!

After Upper Focus was another round of Core Cardio!  I really enjoy this!  Again, it's a lot of fun and works up one heck of a sweat.

Saturday:  Rest day!  I did take it easy much of the day (I got some long overdue WoW playing in), but we did take the kids out for a walk on the trail and let them ride their scooters around a bit.  I also got out to GNC to get a reload on some stuff.  Oh, and we went to Spaghetti Warehouse for dinner.  Just being honest!  I had the minestrone soup with a garden salad and a piece of sourdough.  Seriously.  As much as I wanted the lasagna... I know better.  ;)  The kids love their pizza, though!

Sunday:  I had 9 miles on the schedule, but kind of knew already that I was going to go a little longer.  This run started off amazing and I felt really great from start to finish.  Somewhere around the convention center my GPS on both my watch and my phone went nuts and I spent the next several miles not really knowing how fast or how far I was going.  I'd calculated that my devices were about a third to a half a mile off, so I ran until they said 10 miles and change and then walked the rest of the way home.  After I got my stuff connected and uploaded into the computer, I was satisfied that I probably ran around 9.71 miles with my calculations.  So, that's what I'm going with.  haha.  Not that it really matters.  I had a great run.  I felt awesome, didn't bonk (yes, I had my chia seeds last night!!), and just needed a Hammer gel at around 5.5-6 miles.  It was just a wonderful run.  I could have gone longer, but I'm trying to be smart.

Yes, I did T25 Stretch when I got home after my run.  :)

Overall this week I ran 25 or so miles, nailed my speedwork, and felt great.  I got through the first week of Focus T25 Beta and found some new favorite workouts in that!  My gym workout couldn't have gone better, and I'm loving this strength I'm gaining.

My nutrition has been ok.  Like I mentioned before, I did have frozen yogurt the other day and last night we went out, but I did make good choices at the restaurant.  I've accounted for everything in MyFitnessPal.  I'm starting to think that I really do need a little more carbs than I've been allowing myself, especially with the speedwork and longer runs.  I must say that I'm liking my current long run fueling strategy - the night before I have a bowl of oatmeal with chia seeds (last night I had PB2 and a drizzle of honey in it as well) and in the morning I just have a banana before heading out.  I don't feel like I'm weighed down with a big meal and I definitely have the energy and stamina to get through the run.  It's working!  At least for now!


3 comments: