Sunday, September 8, 2013

Another Weekly Review - It's Game Day!

I just got back from my "long" (I find it hard to consider 8 miles very long anymore) run through the North Shore and the Point.  You can tell it is game day here in Pittsburgh.  I was out and about around 7 am and people were already parking, grilling, drinking, yelling, acting crazy, driving bad, and walking 4-5 wide across bridges and trails that made me have to push my way through.  haha.

Speaking of the Steelers, I unfortunately don't have high hopes for this season.  I think as a team they need to rebuild a bit, take a step back, reevaluate strategies, gain new leadership in the form of younger and stronger players (I love Troy Polamalu as much as the next Pittsburgher, but fact of the matter is he is injured more than playing anymore and we need to get another person trained up to his caliber so we're not relying on him as much as we tend to), and move forward from there.  I'm really pulling for them to prove me wrong on this because I'd love another championship season, of course, but right now I'm just not optimistic.  I'll still have fun watching the games, though!

Enough about my football fascination.  Here's what I've done since Monday!

Tuesday:  It was a gorgeous morning in the low 60s with very little humidity.  My calves were still wicked tight!  This has to be the longest I've been sore post any race I've ever done!  I was able to run through it just fine and they did loosen up during the run, but its still just odd to me.  The best thing about this run was the obvious return of leaves crunching under my feet.  Not a ton, but they are there.  Fall is coming.  :)  After that great run, I did Dynamic Core.  I really put my all into it - especially that pyramid stuff at the end.  I owned that.

Wednesday:  45 minute tempo run.  Calves weren't an issue, thank goodness.  This run was not great.  I nailed my tempo, but I really had to fight both mentally and physically during several parts of the run.  Not kidding, this felt harder than the Steelers 5K.  I just wasn't feeling wonderful this morning.  The T25 workout of the day was Core Cardio.  I've determined that I cannot stand the dark haired "former ballet dancer with perfect form" chick.  I will not let her beat me during sprints, I will always lift heavier than her, and I will always be going harder than her.  She just always has some smarmy look on her face that drives me nuts.  So, it's on, lady.  Bring on the high knees and V-ups.  Oh, the workout went just fine on this particular morning.  I think I was just pissy post craptastic tempo run and when I saw her and that look of hers, I just wanted to kick the monitor.  lol

Thursday:  Nice and cool this morning.  Fall is most definitely making its imminent arrival known.  I was thankful to have a great easy run after Wednesday's tough workouts.  Only bad thing was the realization that my old original Adrenalines are pretty much dead and I really shouldn't wear them anymore.  500 miles will do that to a shoe.  These shoes will be kept and treasured though, don't you worry.  After the run I did Dynamic Core for the second time this week (hey, I didn't make the schedule).  It was ok.  I rocked that pyramid crap again and my abs were feeling it the rest of the day.

I tried a new approach at the gym after some reading that I've done.  I wanted to try warming up on the bike to get my heart rate up and then vertical load my weights routine.  I did get it accomplished for the most part - I had wait for a couple of machines which screwed up my heart rate in a couple places.  I'm not sure that I like it any better than what I normally do (horizontal load), but I definitely did burn more calories, and I felt like the time went by faster... even though I was there the same amount of time as usual - plus an additional 5 minutes if you count the quick warmup I did on the bike.  I also didn't feel the kind of fatigue during the last sets like I typically do.  I'll give it another go next week if I can and see what happens.

Friday:  Double T25 day!  Today's schedule called for Core Speed followed by Upper Focus.  I realized after the fact that this is actually the very last time Upper Focus is called for during Beta phase.  That sucks because it's a decent workout, but oh well.  Core Speed went really well.  Like I said before, I was going to go all out this time since I wasn't doing it the day before a race.  I burned 25% more calories this time!  The bad news?  During one of the squat thrust to burpee combo things, I really crunched what I'm guessing is a chunk of connective tissue and/or nerves in my right hip flexor area.  Oh my ouch.  I even screamed "OUCH!" when I did it.  I was able to continue with the workout ok.  Then later on, I hit the corner of my mat wrong while doing another burpee and took a huge chunk out of my pinky finger.  Right on the joint, of course, just so it hurts extra bad.  Only I do this kind of crap on seemingly simple stuff, I swear.  Anyway, I completed the workout, felt badass, and burned a load of calories in only 25 minutes.  What could be bad about that?

Upper Focus went ok too.  I just find it - like a few of the other T25 workouts - very hurried... Shaun is already on to the next thing, and by the time you pick your weights up you've missed a chunk of the reps on one side.  It's annoying.  I also don't fully understand doing ab work during an upper body workout that's already short on time.  Hip ups and V Holds just don't fit... I'm sorry, but they don't.  The focus should just be on chest, back, bis, tris, and shoulders!  Arms and chest, Shaun, arms and chest!

Saturday:  Rest.  Kinda.  I did walk around a bunch.  But I kept it low key.  We did eat out... but I did my best with some grilled chicken and shrimp and pineapple salsa with broccoli.  Although I do have a confession:  I had my first Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season.  It was honestly... underwhelming, though, I am certain it will not be the last.  It still ticks me off they haven't found a way to make these things totally skinny yet.  So, tall, iced, nonfat, no whip it is.  170 calories that way.  Could be worse, I guess.

Sunday:  Now this... this was a fantastic run - dodging football fans and all.  This was one of those runs where you really want and really wish you could go longer because you feel that good.  I went just a little over my planned 8 miles, but I was a good girl and stopped and walked the rest of the way back home.  Sigh.

What my poor finger looks like 2 days after my epic burpee fail.  Also - my trusty Amphipod (we were talking about handheld bottles in a group I'm in on Facebook and I wanted to take a pic of it).  I'm still feeling good using my 1/2 and 1/2 concoction of water and Lemon Lime Gatorade.  How about that new bright green tank?  It's a Nike Dri-fit tank that I picked up for $1.97 at JCP.  I got a pink one too.  Can't pass up deals like that!


I'm still carb craving like mad.  There are days (well, mostly nights, actually) where I just want to put my face in a cake with a thick layer of icing.  Right now my "diet" is around 40/30/30 to 45/30/25.  It is honestly making me bitchy as hell.  Yes, I'm seeing benefits in the form of muscular strength and building and first thing in the morning I'm usually raring to go, but my energy level in the later parts of the day (say, after 2pm or so) is soooo low.  I used to be able to stay up for a few hours after the kids went to bed and get some things done or just play around on Facebook or Warcraft or Assassin's Creed but lately I'm ready for bed after they're all settled in.  In fact, there are many times where my middle kid is up later than me.  I don't even want to sit in front of my computer, I just want to put PJs on, get a cup of tea or something to munch on and watch some trashy TV until I fall asleep.  After I'm done with the T25 challenge I plan on sneaking in some more carbs here and there, especially as my training gets more intense for my upcoming races.  There's gotta be a happy medium somewhere, I just have to find it.  :)  Even my husband has made the statement "god, I can't wait until you get back on the carbs".  Oops. 

So, this week went pretty well despite a few hiccups.  I ran 24.17 miles... some of them hard, some of them super easy.  I tried out a new gym routine and am still deciding if I like it or not, so I'll try it again.  I went all out on my T25 - messed up my hip and my finger, and made the ultimate decision to not move forward and buy the Gamma DVDs.  I have some thoughts and plans brewing regarding what happens after these next couple of races, but first I have to get to the start and through the finish of those!  I'm looking very forward to the Great Race.  I don't know why, but I'm totally unphased by the half I'm signed up for and the 10 miler.   I just have a total "I don't give a crap" attitude about both of those right now.  We'll see how I feel a couple more weeks down the road.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, props to you for running down there on game day! I stay far away, LOL.

    I LOVE my Amphipod, it's the only handheld I'll use now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My initial thought was "oh, I'll be out and back before the bulk of the crowd rolls in". Ha!

      Delete