Wednesday, September 4, 2013

It's almost that time - Pumpkin everything!

I am craving fall foods like crazy.  I've said this before.  And I love all the fall foods too, not just the pumpkin (hello fresh pick your own apples!!  Squash!) - but I admit that I am one of those dorks that will eat just about anything that contains pumpkin because I love it.  Oh, and I like the cutesy popular vendors baked goods and drinks (ahem), but I make better stuff at home.  I'm known to make a better pumpkin pie than my mother (and mine is much healthier), my pumpkin soups and chilis rock, and my husband made a pumpkin coffee the other day that was delicious.

The kids are just itching to go to our 2 favorite local farms (Soergel's and Triple B Farms) to pick apples and pumpkins and go on hayrides.  We have a couple of weeks to go before the official fall festivals start, but you know kids - they think "we're in school! so it must be fall!".  My daughter Victoria is already getting down to the nitty gritty of the exact details of Halloween costumes.  Gotta love that excitement.  :)

Anyway, I found a pumpkin protein shake recipe from Muscle & Fitness Hers.  I made it the other day and it was divine.  Completely kicked my rear into the "let's go fall" spirit.  I adapted it a bit for what ingredients I had (and personal taste, of course).

Pumpkin Protein Shake

3/4 cup canned pumpkin (which is EVERYWHERE already and if I can give anyone a tip, it is wicked cheap at Aldi)
1 cup almond milk - I used Unsweetened Vanilla
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 Tablespoon sugar free Jell-o Cheesecake Instant Pudding mix - just the dry powder, don't actually make the pudding.  And, if you're gonna get all prissy over Jell-o or whatever, just modify the recipe for yourself or don't make it.
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Throw it all in a blender and mix it up.

Now, I will tell you that this stuff was very thick - so if you'd prefer runnier shake, you could always up the milk, add water, whatever you need to do.  It was delicious.  Next time I'd use a little more spices for myself, just like I do with my pumpkin pies (I like it spicy, what can I say).  I made one of these using the other half of the can of pumpkin for Nick and with his I added a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and I thought his was more to my liking.

According to MyFitnessPal, my recipe comes out to:
250 calories
34 g carbs
5 g fat
24 g protein
6 g fiber

Here's the link to the original recipe: Muscle & Fitness Hers Pumpkin Shake

No comments:

Post a Comment