Friday, January 24, 2014

I Ran, I Ran!!

I could sit here and apologize for it being yet another week between updates here, but check out that title!!

Yes, you read that right!  I ran!!

First let me say that I've been feeling really good lately.  I'm lifting like a beast and I'm enjoying my biking at the gym as well as walking both indoors and out.  I don't feel like I've lost a whole lot of fitness - in fact I'm feeling pretty darn awesome, all things considered.  My range of motion is still a little wonky and I'm still tight in places, but I'm getting more stable by the day, I'm not limping like I was, and I'm recovering very quickly from my workouts.  usually by the next day I feel just fine.  I still have issues with stiffness and soreness if I sit too long in one position, but I'm hopeful that will go away soon as well.

On Monday, my PT surprised me by saying we were going to take a test run on the treadmill.  He just wanted me to do a couple of intervals of 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking and see what happened.  The deal was that I spoke up if I had any issues and we'd stop immediately.  Unfortunately, my running return was not all sunshine and roses.  I was able to do 2 intervals but they did not feel great, and I told him that.  I wasn't in pain, but I felt stiff and strange and just not right.  For the first couple of minutes I even thought I forgot how to run!  lol  He said he didn't want to chance anymore and we stopped there.  Afterwards he told me that I can expect to feel "something" going on in the area for a while - my body needs to rebuild, re-stabilize, etc, and as long as it isn't PAIN, or stabbing, or pounding ache sensation then it is ok as long as it isn't getting worse.  So, ok... I ran/walked .67 miles and, being that's the first running strides I've taken since the beginning of November, I was thrilled with it.

At the gym on Wednesday, I got on the treadmill for a 5 minute walk.  Feeling ballsy, I increased the speed to just barely a jog and went with that for a minute.  It felt good - worlds better than I felt on Monday.

Today at PT, I got to try out those 3/1 intervals again, but at a slightly slower pace.  My therapist set the timer on the treadmill for 15 minutes and told me to see how far I could get while still feeling good.  Again, if I had any pain I was to stop.  Well, I made it through the entire 15 minutes!!  And I felt wonderful!  I still had that "strange" feeling happening, but no pain or anything.  I was relaxed and was able to lengthen my stride a bit.  I honestly could have kept going a bit.  But babysteps... babysteps... I thought about it and I think maybe this time might have been better because I wore my Brooks to PT instead of the Nike trainers I usually wear to the gym and like I'd been wearing to PT.  Who would have thought - running shoes make your running easier??  haha  At the end of my session, I was given the gift of being told I can start run/walking more often outside of PT.  I'm just not supposed to rush it (duh), take appropriate rest time, and as always stop if I have notable discomfort.  I can live with that!

Tomorrow I think I might just walk since I ran today and Sunday has been my rest day (I've been at the gym every day of the week), so I think the next time I'll attempt to run is Monday.  My PT told me to do the 3/1 intervals, but I honestly wonder if maybe I shouldn't start c25k over again?  I guess it would be a more conservative approach, but I still fear the "too much too soon" thing.  I don't know...  I need to give it some thought, or maybe seek some outside advice.  It's not that I don't trust my PT - I do, but I don't know...

As far as future goal setting goes - next week I start another phase of my weightlifting program, which I'm very excited about.  I'm also really excited about running more.  I've been spending a lot of time on the bike and I don't like the bike.  I tolerate it because I have to, but it's not my preference in cardio.  I find it incredibly boring and to be perfectly honest it hurts my ass.  Even when I didn't have a stress fracture it has always numbed and/or made my tush sore.  It'll be nice to give up a biking day for the treadmill.  Now, regarding running/racing... I honestly don't see myself racing at any time in the near future.  And I've made peace with that.  I just feel blessed that I ran 2(and a smidge) times this week!  It hopefully only gets better and easier from here!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's fabulous!

    As someone with A LOT of experience with stress fractures, I'll share my two most important rules to returning to running.

    #1 Never run two days in a row. I start out every two days, then every other, until I feel completely normal again.

    #2 Never run, when you are already feeling stiff or sore at the site of the stress fracture. I frequently feel that after I run, especially in the beginning, and usually the day after a run. I usually go back and forth with feeling "pain" for at least a month, and just when I think it's never going away, BAM, I wake up, and it's gone.

    Good luck!! (I should mention that the pain I feel when returning to running is a soreness that is definitely different than the original stress fracture pain)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy. That advice is very helpful! Yes, the "pain" I have when attempting to run is definitely not the same... it's not even in the same spot as the original injury site! It's a bizarre feeling, really.

      I plan on taking things very slowly. I'd honestly rather go short and slow and feel good until I'm absolutely certain I can handle more. Quality over quantity. This has been a very humbling, and very scary journey.

      Delete