Friday, January 17, 2014

The Beginning of PT and Cardio

It has been quite a week here.  I've been busy.  Now that I'm back at the gym and the kids schedules are in full swing for the new year and I have PT on top of things I've had very little time to sit and write.  I've also been very tired at night due to getting used to getting up at the butt crack of dawn again..  By the time I get the kids down at night (or at least mostly), I just want to watch some old episodes of Homeland, maybe drink a beer and go to sleep.  I'm not caught up on emails, phone calls, or the Biggest Loser on DVR.  I am caught up on laundry for the first time in a long time, so that's a win.  Please don't judge me.  ha!

So, I don't know quite where to start, so let's start with PT.  I'm seeing a really great therapist at UPMC Sports Med.  He's young and enthusiastic, and best of all - he's a runner so he totally understands where I am coming from in saying that I don't care what it takes or what I have to put myself through, I just want to run again.  He says he's quite proud of me for not attempting to run all these weeks and that fact is probably why I am doing so well now.  I haven't felt true pain in a while... I just feel stiff and sore and unbalanced. I'm spending 2 days a week for about an hour and a half each time with him for now.  I'm doing seemingly simple things such as clamshells with bands wrapped around my legs, side steps, box step up and downs, leg raises with ankle weights, stability exercises, etc.  The therapist also likes to bend me in crazy positions as well as dig his elbow into my piriformis which a) OUCH, b) probably looks obscene to everyone around, and c) OUCH.  My piriformis has been a big ol' knot... and understandably so, given the injury.  But, that's pretty much that.  My next appointment is on Monday and I'm just itching to ask him to give me a goal date of when I might try to run.  I'm so tempted to just do it, but I am scared.  Like, really scared.  I never want to feel that pounding agony I felt during those last miles of the EQT 10 miler EVER again.

The Return of Cardio.  Oh My Goodness.  Heaven.  Monday I rode the recumbent bike for 30 minutes.  At first it just felt weird to be going again, but then I got into a groove and the 30 minutes was up way before I was ready.  Tuesday I walked on the treadmill for 30 mins.  I kept it slow, because it still feels weird when I take long strides, so I was only able to go 1.3 miles in that time.  But it felt amazing!  Thursday I got on the upright bike for 30 minutes and put the resistance on higher like I had the day before for 10 minutes at PT.  I didn't "travel" as far, but I got my heart rate higher and I actually felt like I got a decent workout in.  Today (Friday) I did another 30 minutes on the treadmill.  I walked a little less than a mile and a half, but I was able to walk a little faster than Tuesday and a little progress is still progress.  I had the treadmill on 3.8 and I was so tempted to kick it up a couple more and run a few steps if I could, but I held back.  Again, I'm really scared to run again.  I do have to say that I am happy that I don't seem to have lost a lot of cardiovascular fitness.  I'm really having to hold back and my heart rate really isn't getting near what I'm used to.  My body and heart just want to go all out and spin on that bike or sprint on that treadmill, but thankfully my mind is keeping me slow and steady.  I've come this far... why mess it up now?

I'm still trucking along on my weightlifting as well.  I finally started wearing my heart rate monitor again and I am now convinced that I can burn a TON of calories lifting - sometimes even more than doing mediocre cardio - if I do it RIGHT.  For me, that means focusing on 1 or 2 areas per day and lifting hard and heavy.  If those muscles are sore the next day that's fantastic because I don't need them anyway and I'll be doing another part.  I'm now lifting heavier (and better) than I was pre-injury.  I do thank my recent CPT training for this as well as honestly having the time to focus on this type of training.  Before the injury I was all runrunrun-lift a little-runrunrun.  Now that I'm very into the weights I don't know what I'll do once I'm able to run again.  I'll have to try to find a happy medium because I don't want to lose all this muscle.  I quite enjoy it and so does the husband.  ;)

It was really funny walking into my gym for the first time since the end of October.  My husband had spread the word of my injury and how it came about so I have had a few people come up and say things like "Holy shit you're back!  You fractured your pelvis while running??  You are badass!!".  To which I just laugh about.  Yes, I am badass, but not because I earned myself a stress fracture by being an idiot and not resting like I should have instead of getting a medal.  It's because I'm just me.  Thanks for the rumor spreading, hun!

All in all, I'm feeling really good.  Sore (what's funny is I'm sore everywhere BUT where the stress fracture is/was!  ha!).  Tired.  But I am so elated to be "officially" on my way back.  It's great to actually be able to be considered active again.

Nick bought me this shirt the other day and I love it:
Ignore the disheveled hair and lack of makeup.  I just got back from the gym and hadn't prettied up yet.  Ok, I'll just be honest - I never got that far that night.  I stayed home, so what the heck... lol

 I hope you're all being amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Love the shirt! Welcome back to cardio! Your PT sounds so much better than the girl I had there. She said, "basically, there is nothing I have for you do to help with preventing stress fractures, so what do you want to do"? Then she proceeded to put me on a elliptical, and forgot about me. I never went back there.

    ReplyDelete