Wednesday, February 12, 2014

PT Wrapup!

I could do yet another late wrapup of last week's workouts, but I don't want to.  Let's leave it at the fact that I did pretty much the same workouts as the previous week but increased my weights in places.  All good.

What I'm more interested in this fine evening is rejoicing in the fact that although tomorrow is Thursday, I will NOT be going to PT.  Because I'm DONE with PT!  They kicked me out.  haha.

My therapist, Jon, was great these last few weeks.  I thank God that I got a runner who was sympathetic to what I was going through and who catered to me both physically and psychologically how I needed it.  Because after over 2 1/2  months of not running you KNOW I was about the climb walls and rip my hair out.  Hey, when you're used to something and it gets instantaneously taken from you it is a challenge and an emotional battering.  I know I sound nuts, but its true.  I've embraced my weightlifting and doing what I could until given the green light.

When I first started PT, I was still sore and stiff.  Most of my time there was spent stretching, foam rolling and doing seemingly simple things.  Thankfully, my body responded quite well to the gradual introduction to more activity and more and more impact on my legs (especially the bad side).  A couple of weeks ago, after expressing a bit of frustration at Jon that I was still not running, he tentatively let me try out some short run/walk intervals with the agreement that the moment I felt any pain or anything out of the "ordinary" that I'd hit the stop button.  Well, that first, very short, trial run didn't feel awesome, but it wasn't completely awful either.  It was a pleasant surprise.

I progressed through the stabilizing and strengthening workouts at PT much quicker than anyone anticipated.  I've been using the highest resistance and leg weights on pretty much everything for the past 2 weeks.  I believe the fact that I was weight training at home and at the gym all this time (even though I was going very light on the leg weights) helped immensely.  Jon kept trying to find new and interesting and more challenging things for me to do.  I do have to say that I've had my fill of side steps and shuffles, hip hikes, and especially that BOSU balancing act.  Although, I think I will keep some part of it in my routines because I do think they help.

As for the running, I went from short run/walk sessions to longer ones (gradually, of course).  On my last day of PT, this past Monday, I was able to run for 15 minutes straight with no walk break.  Pain free.  Twinge free.  Easily.  And felt like I could keep on going... and faster.  It was kind of like my "final exam".  I have my confidence back, and that's been a major issue.  I still have my moments where I'm anticipating the pain... waiting for it... expecting it to come on the next stride..  I don't know when or if that will ever go away.

Today I ran 3 miles on the gym treadmill.  Again, like nothing was ever wrong.  I'm still doing run/walk intervals... because that's comfortable right now.  I'm ok with that.  I'll eventually drop them, but I don't know when.  I'm not in a rush.... Speaking of not being in a rush, my pace is totally in the toilet from where it was (mostly because I'm determined not to let myself get out of control even when I do have runs that feel really good).  And again, I'm ok with it.  Right now my average pace includes the walk breaks and I'm honestly not even concerned with how fast I'm going.  I'm more concerned with getting my endurance back and just letting running feel great again.

That's my update!  I'm a PT graduate and I'm excited (and a bit nervous) to be back on my own again!


2 comments:

  1. That is awesome news Nichole, congratulations! And three miles?!? Yay for you! I know how good that feels!
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete