Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Treadmills are Hard.

Due to my fear of all things "slippy" this winter, I've been spending a lot of time on the treadmill.  Since getting to get outside twice now for my longer weekend run attempts, something has (again) become blatantly obvious:  Treadmills are hard.

I don't know if this is more of my weirdness coming through or what, but I find it takes more effort to run on a treadmill than it does outside.  I can run easier and faster outside - even with hills, weather, and traffic.  Even at a ridiculously slow pace on the treadmill, I feel like it's just a lot harder and I have to push a lot more to do what comes easy outdoors.

I don't even really mind the treadmill.  Yes, it's boring.  Yes, you have to deal with the gym crowd and equipment.  But, give me some good music blasting in my ears (lately this has been Rob Bailey and the Hustle Standard) and I can make the time go by.  It's just... difficult.  I wish I knew why.

But.  Do you know what's not hard?

Buying new shoes.  :)

I headed over to a running store this afternoon and explained my situation with the injury and wanted to just see if maybe I needed a different kind of shoe than I'd been using.

Well... after trying on a few different models, walking around, hopping, and running on the treadmill, I walked out of the store with a new pair of shoes to work in to my rotation since my current shoes have too many miles for my comfort to take into a race in less than 10 weeks.

Here they are!


The Brooks Adrenaline 14.  Yep, sticking with the Adrenalines.  I swear it feels like these things were built around my feet.  They are glorious.  All other shoes feel like... well, I got something hanging off my feet, while the Adrenaline, as they always have, feel like they just mold to the perfect shape of my foot.  Which is narrow and weird.  They're not heavy, they don't feel loose in places, and they hold my feet up well.  I'm in love.  And look... this pic does NO justice to them, they are BRIGHT.  Like, neon-like.  Not pink, either!

The only other things that came close - and not even very close, but just kind of were the New Balance 1260 and the Saucony Hurricane.  Maybe I'll give one of those a try as an off shoe sometime in the future, but right now they don't have anything on these.

Can't wait to try them out in the real world!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, running on a treadmill for me, is so much harder than running outside. A pace that is considered easy outside, is me struggling to keep up on a treadmill. Ugh.

    I think you're smart to stick with the same shoe, it's so hard to find one that works, so why change it. I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I ran on the treadmill for the first time ever during the polar vortex days and was surprised that it was so hard. I'd read articles that said it feels easier because you don't have to deal with wind, running surface, hills, etc. so I'm glad to hear its not just me!

    ReplyDelete