Saturday, March 22, 2014

Big Changes = Big Relief

Yeah, yeah... I've gone missing again.

Every time I think life is settling down, something happens to snap me out of that mind set and set me whirling about again.  But - this is all good things.  I'm far happier when life is a little chaotic as opposed to boring and with nothing to focus on/look forward to.  Its a relief for me.  Otherwise I'm flitting around trying to find something to busy myself with.  I'm definitely not a sit still and watch life roll by type of person.  When I have goals, and particularly long term (but attainable) ones, I tend to zone in and give all the most important things in life 110%.  Unfortunately, social media and blogging is not on the top of the importance list for me.  I'm not going to apologize for it, nor am I looking down at and judging others who place it higher on their "to do" list than I do.  We've all got different plans and priorities and that's flippin' awesome.  I love having things to read and ponder during the downtime I do get.

So... I honestly don't even know where I left off, so here's a word vomit fest sprinkled with pics.  Ha!

I finished my body building plan.  It was awesome.  I'm now struggling to figure out a balance between lifting and keeping my hard earned muscle and leaning out and focusing on my running.  I tried out a new more simple circuit this past week and it was a bomb.  I didn't like the flow and it was too easy.  And it wasn't fun.  I need fun.  So, I came up with another plan that is a bit more difficult, but still within the realm of "running focused" and I'll try it out next week.

I never do gym selfies, but on my last day I HAD to!  Those arms!  That upper body!  Love!  And I adore the Wall of Inspiration in the inside of the girls' locker room!

Speaking of running:  I have now completed over a weeks worth of running with NO walk intervals.  I've also added 1 run per week that I allow myself to go a bit faster than I have been to test out what I can possibly handle for the PGH Half.  Last week I hit 3 miles at 8:45 avg and today I did 4 miles at 8:40 with a bitchin' headwind.  If I were to gauge where I feel my fitness in general lies right now I'd say I feel around where I was at JASR last year.  Which, all things being said, isn't that bad of a place to be.

I picked up a new job!  I'm now helping others attain their health and fitness goals and this is just great.  It's been like a dream come true.  Not that EMS didn't make me happy, but there's something to be said about seeing someone transform in ways they thought they couldn't and knowing that you're behind that.  Very cool stuff.  But, this is another reason for my online absence.  I'm on my phone a lot, but my iPhone sucks for blogging.  It's just the way it is.

Oh, I got this email:

If you recall, my big goal for last Fall's racing season was the Great Race 10K.  All my training from the summer until the end of September focused on being able to hopefully run the 10K in less than 45 minutes.  I thought it a lofty goal but one I could do if I put the effort out there.  I crossed the finish line in 43:53.

I really haven't given this race much thought and it was a big shock when I got the email.  I still haven't registered for it.  I'm obviously really proud of my accomplishment last year, but I know at this moment I'm not in that same condition.  Could I get there by September?  Maybe.  I don't know.  Like I said above, I feel like I'm about at the same place I was a year ago around JASR.  And, I did go from that to what I was able to put out at the Great Race then.  This year is different, though.  I'm still being really careful with running and I really really want to focus more on injury free endurance than speed.  First of all, speedwork increases my chance of re-injury (at least right now).  Second, I know I've mentioned many times here, there, and everywhere that my main goal for this year is to be able to FINALLY run a marathon.  I still feel really screwed over on Pittsburgh (hey, it's my fault.  No one to blame but myself for that one), and I need a goal to move on from it.

Another exciting email:

And there it is.  I AM running MCM in October.  I threw my name in the hat for NYC and MCM with the plan of doing Philly if I didn't get in to one of those.  MCM has always been my #1 choice.  The drawing for NYC isn't until next week and if by some weird twist of lightning strikes twice fate I get into that, I will cancel and get guaranteed entry for 2015.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :)

Look at the timestamp on that email too.  I'm going to publicly apologize to my husband everyone else that had contact with me that day for being a morose bitch all day.  Especially after 2:30 when they announced they were 75% done and all emails would be out by 4pm.  What an emotional jerkjob of a day (they said the emails were going to start going out at 12:01 am.  It was a long wait.)! lol  I ate a fat slice of cake that night.  Don't care.  It was delicious.

So from now until October 26th my mind is completely focused on staying HEALTHY and getting to that starting line.  If I have to go a little (or a lot) slower, I will.  If I need a break, I'll take it.  If I need to stay away from social media/fitness sites and stay in my own headspace for a while, I will.  Something I've never really admitted to publicly until now is that things like DailyMile/Nike+ really stress me out at times.  Yes, the awesome part of it is staying accountable and giving and getting encouragement, but it can also be an emotional kick in the pants sometimes.  You have a crappy run and then feel like "well crap, now I gotta post this shitty time for everyone to see".  Or you watch as others who you once kept up with leave you in the dust for whatever reason (you're injured...ahem).  Yes, I applaud everyone's accomplishments and try to support people when they're down... but I do have a slightly competitive side and that part of me does get butthurt now and then!  Just being honest!  I know I've intentionally (in the past - definitely not recently) pushed myself too hard on a run just to "beat" someone on a website.  Sooo stupid.  I will not let myself get to that point again.  Finishing MCM means too much to me.

Aside from the above, we're also talking about moving (again).  I'm definitely not leaving the area.  I've grown into a Yinzer over the last 12+ years and I love it like I love my Stillers.  But, my mother in law is getting older and lives across the state and is talking about wanting to move here.  Right now we're looking towards the North Hills (it's where our collective workdays are spent anyway) but we will see.  We might stay put another year.  But I'd prefer not to because our landlord is not motivated to do anything around here other than continually raise the rent.  Grrr.

I think that's all for now!  I hope everyone out there is happy, healthy, and reaching for those goals!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats for getting into MCM! Seem like everyone that I know that applied, got in, very awesome!

    Congrats on the running w/o walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to ditch those intervals. There comes a point for me (this happened while I was doing c25k the first time around too) where it simply hurts to go from running to walking and then back. It's just far easier to try to maintain a consistent effort than to stop and start.

      Delete
  2. Like you, my top goal is to be injury-free, so your plan sounds like a good one to me. Congrats on getting into MCM!

    ReplyDelete