Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Final Stretch

First of all, I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one who finds treadmills hard!  So often I hear people saying it helps them run faster and it is the total opposite for me.  Good to know I'm not alone!

This week I start the final week of the muscle building plan that I started back when I was still barely able to walk almost 12 weeks ago.  I was really itching to do something after spending several weeks literally laying in bed or on the couch.  Inactive and happy, I am not.  Once I was able to run again, and I added a gradual buildup to this already pretty intense schedule I've been honestly darn drained.  I really want to finish the process, though.  Another thing I am not is a quitter.  I'm looking forward to backing off a little, taking some time to work on my flexibility and stretching techniques and then adding the weights back in with the focus of maintaining most of what I've gained plus continuing to strengthen and build my running.

But I have to finish out this week first.  ;)  This weeks workouts are pretty much the same as last week, and since I'm a huge slacker and haven't put out a recap when it is already TUESDAY (again!), here's a quick rundown.

Monday: Legs!  This is the one thing I'll be happy to see gone... heavy leg day AFTER long run day.  Oof.
Dumbbell squats
Leg Presses
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Dumbbell lunges
Calf Press

30 reps of each - no rest between - 3 mins rest, then repeat 3 more times.  By the last round, those lunges SUCK!

Tuesday:  Back, Abs, and Run
Deadlifts
Bent Over Rows
Lat pulldowns
Seated Cable Rows
Back Extensions
Knee Raises on the bars
Air bikes

20 reps each - no rests until after the bikes then rest 3 mins before repeating 2 more times.  I actually really like this circuit and think I'll hang onto it as a go-to in the future.

After I did this last week I ran 3.57 miles on the treadmill - 10:1 run/walk intervals.

Wednesday:  Chest, Calves, and Elliptical
Bench Press
Incline Press
Flyes
Dips
Pushups
Standing Dumbbell calf raises
Seated calf raise

20 reps each with no rest between, then a 3 min break before doing it all again 2 times.  Believe it or not the hardest part of this circuit is those simple dips and pushups during the last round!  I followed this up with 40 minutes on the elliptical.

Thursday: Arms, Abs, and Run
Barbell Curls
Skullcrushers
Alternating biceps curls
Standing single dumbbell triceps extension
dips
Reverse Crunches
Regular crunches

Again, 20 reps a piece, no rest until the end, then rest 3 minutes and do it twice more.

After this workout I did a c25k Week 5 workout: Walk 5 min, Run 8, Walk 3, Run 10, Walk 4.  The "walk 3" was supposed to be a 5 minute walk, but I felt fully recovered and honestly freaking bored at 3 minutes, so I just started running early.  I felt great!

Friday:  Shoulders, calves, and yes, another RUN!
Shoulder Presses
Bent Over Rear Delt Raises
Front raises
Side Lateral raises
Standing upright row
Calf Press
Standing Calf Raises

Same as the previous days - 20 reps, 3 min rest at the end, repeat 2 more times.

This day I tried running a longer period than I have thus far since the injury without walking.  I walked for 5 minutes to warmup, then I ran 20 minutes on the treadmill non-stop.  I did a 5 min cooldown walk following.  I set the pace a bit slower than I had been going just to make sure I could do it.  It was awesome!  I felt really good!  This was really confidence boosting.

Saturday: Rest!
Well, ok, I did do a 20 minute yoga routine with my daughter.  ;)

Sunday: 7.68 mile run.
Yes, you read that correctly.  Of course I had to run during the big scary snowstorm that wasn't as scary as predicted but still put a decent amount on the ground to trudge through.  9:1 intervals around North Park to boot.  It took me 1:23, which, given the snow and the fact that I was run/walking wasn't disappointing to me at all.  I also earned these awesome ice crystals on my brows and lashes:


So, I'm still slowly trying to get back at it.  I'm pretty confident I'll be able to finish the half.  I definitely won't be anywhere near a PR and I'm still not certain if I will be run/walking or not, but I'll cross that finish line, God willing.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intense week! Thank you for sharing the detailed recap.

    I love the frozen eyebrows, you definitely earned them. I had my eye lashes freeze together on Friday and had to run about a quarter mile as a cyclops until body heat/tears melted them apart. Then tonight my water bottle froze shut half way through 10 miles. Luckily I was trying to front load my hydration and had already consumed most of the water in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when my water bottle gets frozen! It feels like you're hauling around brick at that point. At one point during my snowy run one of the chunks of ice off my eyebrow (I think) fell into my eye and felt like sharp glass. Gotta love this winter (not)!

      Delete
  2. Seeing this picture, makes me not feel so bad that I can't currently run, lol. Brrrr. Congrats on the 7.68 though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, I keep saying - ok, it's March now - lets get on with the warm days already! Heck, at this point I'd be happy with an entire week in the 40s!

      Delete
  3. I also ran in the storm on Sunday and loved it! It was a winter wonderland and so pretty. I also got icicle eyebrows & wish I'd snapped a picture!

    ReplyDelete