Sunday, June 29, 2014

MCM Training Week 1

Holy crap I'm training for a marathon!

I know you all know that already.

But I'm still personally having moments of omg.wtf.thisiscrazy.why.hoorayhappyfuntimes... ;)  So pardon me if I stay this nutty for the next... oh, 17 weeks.

Week 1 = DONE.

I had my first brush of speedwork in eight months.  Oh how I loved and hated it.  But, it was very confidence boosting to know that a) I still "have it", so to speak, and b) I wasn't in any kind of pain or discomfort at any time during or after.  My fear of it was definitely worse than the actual running.  I don't know when that fear will go away for good, but I'm glad that, at least in this case, it was unwarranted.

I completed all my workouts with no issue, including 2 strength training sessions, 3 core training sessions, and 1 longer flexibility workout.  Again, I'm utilizing the supplemental training workouts from the Pfitzinger Advanced Marathoning book.  So far, I highly recommend them.

So, while my mileage dropped a bit this week (25.4 in total), this week was a little more intense in that I added speedwork and other training.  I've been very diligent about keeping my easy runs easy and not letting the pace creep up on me.  Before I'd just say "eh, screw it" and roll with it but now I will slow down - way down - if I am getting out of control.  This used to be an ego crusher, but now I feel stronger and smarter for it and believe it is the way to go.

Victoria also got to run with me this week!  She's doing really well.  She likes doing 4:1 run/walk intervals for her runs and before recently she'd really run out of gas toward the end.  Now she's sprinting ahead of me!  She really wants to beat her Liberty Mile time from last year and I think she will do it!

The only real downer I'd have to mention about this week was my nutrition.  I really need to watch what I eat the night before longer (or faster) runs.  Last night I was with a rambunctious group who wanted to eat at the buffet for dinner.  As much as I try to control myself with that it's tough.  So I ate way too much, felt like crap all night, and had tummy "blahness" (let's just make believe that's a real word) through most of my 8 mile run today.  The run was fine other than that, but I don't like feeling like that, especially on a hot and humid morning.

I also need to work on getting to bed earlier some nights.

Hey, it's a process, right?

Speaking of nutrition, since I signed up with the Clif team for MCM, they sent me a cute little box of goodies to try!

Free stuff is always nice! Even red shoelaces!

I haven't had the opportunity to try anything yet, but I plan on it soon.  I've had practically every flavor of their standard bars, so I already know I like that.  I've never tried the vanilla flavor of shot gel, but I vaguely remember the last time I tried a Clif brand gel it was very runny, which turned me off. Hopefully it is a bit thicker.  I'm most excited about the recovery mix.  Admittedly, I'm terrible about post-run recovery (unless a short stretch followed by staring into space for a while like an idiot counts), at least I have been in the past and I'm trying to get better about it.  I know this will be very important as my mileage increases, so I'll take all the help I can get.

I'd say this week was a great start.  I'm feeling strong and confident and am ready for Week #2!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome for your first week! I use the Clif gels. I have an assortment right now and haven't tried vanilla, but the ones I've tried have been thick (and delicious!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! I think I'll try out that Vanilla one this weekend.

      Delete