Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer Vacation Begins!

The kids have just completed their first full week of summer vacation (last day was a week ago today).

The first week of summer vacation is always rough.  Everyone has to get used to new schedules and activities and also used to being around each other more.  I get to say things like "don't punch your brother in the face again", "if you want your clothes clean, then get them to the laundry room", "stop writing on the couch", "the cat doesn't want to wear a hat and dress", "why is the fridge open", "yes, you have to wear more than underpants to go outside", and "please get out the door - you might be off, but the adults still have appointments" a million times a day.

But, that being said, we get to have a great time together without worrying about all the homework and school commitments.  Finally, after all the years of begging, Kennywood and Sandcastle have offered a combo season pass to get unlimited admission into both parks all season.  We are proud card carriers!  This is one of the reasons I love living here and I love buying the season pass - we don't have to take 1 day and squeeze everything in (unless we want to, of course).  We can go for a few hours here and there a few times a week.  One of our favorite things to do, especially on the weekends and holidays is spend a hot afternoon at Sandcastle and then grab some dinner and head over to Kennywood that evening.  It's like a consistent staycation including two of the best parks you can ask for.

Hanging out with Kenny Kangaroo!

I'm just trying to soak up this time and enjoy the kids and have fun.  This morning Garrett started a Kindergarten transition program that lasts 2 weeks and the older two will be headed off to camp in the next couple of weeks for 11 days each.  This is our first year doing the camp thing, but I feel that they are old enough and it will be good for them.  I'd like to see them each gain more confidence and independence and I believe it will help.  They'll be with familiar people and friends so there's nothing too extreme about it.  

As for me and my running/training goes I'm finally back up to around 30 miles per week (last week was 31, this week will be around 33).  As of this last week, I've cut back on my weightlifting, and will move toward a more running specific plan. I'm honestly probably just going to do the strength workout out of Pfitz's book with some of my own flair.  I'm running comfortably, recovering well, and feeling really good.  I'm happy that I've built myself up to right where I want to be before next week.  One week from today is officially day 1 of MCM training.  I'm bouncing back and forth between being excited and ready to go and freaking terrified.  I can do this.  I will do this.  My first couple of weeks start with slightly lower mileage than I'm doing now, but with specific workouts and strides so it all works out.

In my last blog I posted about trying to find a half marathon to run as a marathon pace training run or tune-up race.  Well, I've done more digging and if the Montour trail thing isn't going to happen (they seem really wishy washy on whether it is going to go on or not and I don't want to take the chance of a cancellation and having no other plans) then I have some options within a 2-2 1/2 hour drive from here in Ohio or West Virginia.  I would go farther, but I'll be travelling with kids which makes any trip at least 45 minutes to an hour longer ("I have to use the bathroom NOW!!!").  Nick also said that it's actually a good thing if we have to travel and stay a night in a hotel for a race because it will give the whole family a "training run", so to speak with regards to pre and post race travel and activities and behaviors.  I didn't even think about that before, but he is right.  I'll most likely make my final decision in the next two weeks.

I'll return to posting more and getting into more details about my training when its time to roll.  Right now there's not much to report on.

1 comment: