Monday, June 2, 2014

Well, Hello June!

Hey, it’s June!  What the hell happened to May?  Didn't I just run the Pittsburgh half the other day?  No?  OK, then.

There really isn't much to report on here.  I've been running 4-5 days per week, lifting 4 days per week and getting a rest day in there.  I've been sticking to my guns on this whole “keep it easy”/heart rate thing.  I do allow myself 1-2 runs per week without the strap, but honestly, I’m starting to kinda like it.  I never thought I would say that about running 10+ minute miles (my average seems to land around 10:30.. some days it’ll be 10:11, and the next it’ll be 10:50, etc).

I feel AMAZING.  I’m recovering from all my runs pretty much the instant I walk in the front door and stretch.  I’m not aching, hobbling, tired, or otherwise worn out.  These legs feel fresh all the time.  My runs are, for the most part, all enjoyable.  I’m having fun.  I could have done without the mother goose chasing after me and trying to nip at my legs after I must have ran too close to her precious babes, but hey, that was a cool experience too.  I’m not doing the whole “omg is this run OVER yet??  thing”.  I’m taking new routes just for fun.  It’s been wonderful and I’m so glad that I have this feeling back.

A big key in all this sunshine and lollipops feeling right now is the fact that I've allowed myself the absolute peace of not giving a heaping crap about my pace.  Now, you know this is TOUGH for me.  I always want to go harder, faster, better.  So, to keep myself from cheating on the process this time around I disabled my watch from showing me my pace.  Last year when I was trying to do this low heart rate recovery and buildup I kept obsessing about how slooooow I was going.  And in my silly head slow = bad = must not do it.  So, I’d be all fine and good running within my general aerobic zone for a mile or two but then after seeing those double digit paces for a while I’d get frustrated and say eff it and run whatever was left hard… to catch up to my self perceived “what I should be doing” pace.  Of course all this did was defeat the purpose and leave me disgruntled (AND put me on a terrible path to injury, but let’s not go there right now).

Now, I don’t have that opportunity because I set my watch up to only show me my heart rates and overall distance.  Sure, I can pull my pace and average pace up by fiddling around with the buttons for a while, but that takes too much effort and time when I’m running.  I’m lazy like that.  So, I have no idea how fast I’m running until the mile checkpoints (which I often miss because I either don’t hear the watch beep or I don’t look fast enough) or until I stop the watch at the end of my run.  All I know is how far I've gone and if my heart rate is in the right place.  And it’s been completely liberating.

Oh, and just to get it out there: in 21 days I get to start training for a marathon.  YAHOOOO!


Speaking of which, the one problem I’m having right now is finding a tune up half marathon to run.  I want it to be between the last week of July and first week of September, somewhat local (meaning I can get up, drive there, run the race, and come home before dinner.  Lol), and not incredibly expensive.  I was originally thinking of the Montour Trail half, but rumors swirling around say that they have to change the date of the race or cancel it altogether due to construction done on the trail?  I don’t know.  I’ll get it figured out one way or the other.  But if you have any suggestions, please send them my way.

4 comments:

  1. I'm running the Lehigh Valley half marathon in early September to prep for my fall marathon. Maybe a little further than a day trip, but a super nice race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that race is awesome! Yes, it's a little far than I'm hoping to travel, though. I've been doing some digging and I've found some a little closer, so we'll see.

      Delete
  2. Very inspiring post for me! I tend to love my easy runs, where I don't look at my Garmin until after I'm done, but then I start internally criticizing myself for my slow pace. If my goal is to continue running and be injury free, I need to remember that taking it easy is good for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely... it's very tough for me not to want to overanalyze that pace. But when I feel great after a nice easy run I have remind myself that's why going so slow is important. Save the speedy stuff for when you really need it!

      Delete