Monday, November 24, 2014

Random Thoughts on Life and Great Recipes

I'm sitting here swilling coffee out of this mug:

Too early?

I'm trying to get the motivation to get up and out to get my workout in for the day.  yes, I do have a lazy bone in my body.  Sometimes I do indulge it.  I'm not perfect nor do I want to be.

First let's get the mundane out of the way - it's that crazy ass weather time of year.  It could do a 180 from one day to the next.  Right now it's in the 60s.  However recently, it's been so damn cold, I've been known to run in this attire:

Wind was really whipping that day too.  I don't think you can see it, but ignore my neighbor's tarp covered boat.  He can keep the boat covered up, but can't clean his dog shit out of my yard.

Speaking of weird animals, my oldest cat Meatball has taken to obsessing over celery.  Yes, the big green stalks of crunchy stuff.  I don't even know what started it other than she got a whiff and a lick of it in a bag that I brought home one day and that sealed the deal.  She has even gone so far as to jump INTO the fridge if you leave it open a split second to get to it.  I've searched and it doesn't seem like it's a harmful thing so we've been just giving her little pieces of the leafy stuff at the top if she's really persistent.  I guess cats get a little crazy when they get old too.

I'm loving this relaxed in between season of working out.  Of course this is only in regards to running because I'm starting week 3 of "Nichole's flavor of Strong Curves" and it's going great.  I did notice on my 10 mile run yesterday the extra strength I've got in my ass as I was running over bridges so I guess that's a good thing.  I do need to add a yoga/flexibility workout to my rotation again.  I miss doing a weekly one and I still have some stiffness to get gone.  Or maybe, like my cat, I'm just old.

Holidays... we are staying home!  We were going out to visit my family but our van just isn't in perfect condition right now.  After the rocky trip to MCM where the radiator almost left us stranded, it just hasn't been right and I don't feel comfortable taking another trip in it until it's either 100% fixed or (gulp) replaced.  So we've got a turkey, and we're getting all the rest of the fixins together to have a pig out fest of our own.  And yes I'm a trainer and yes I preach health and fitness to people and yes I believe that you should (mostly) be mindful of what you put in your body.  But that said, seriously I get annoyed at the barrage of "How to be healthy over the holidays" and "Don't eat all that bad food" and "Say no thanks to unclean eating this season" posts/memes/etc on the interwebs.  Honestly it is important to be healthy but it is just as important to experience and enjoy life.  You have to find that balance.  Have fun with your friends and family.. drink another glass of wine or scotch.. eat that pie only your grandma can make because you don't know if she'll be around to make it next year.  You know your limits, you know what it's gonna take to burn whatever you put in you off.  But that time... those people, those foods, those smells, those memories.  Enjoy it!  You don't have to answer to anyone, certainly not me.  I've told my clients to just have fun and enjoy themselves.  Be aware of what you're doing, but don't let it make you resentful or unhappy.  Come back honest and ready to put in the work at the gym next session.  If that makes me a slacker or a bad trainer or whatever than so be it.  I'll drink another just for you.  Cheers.

Kinda went on a tangent there.... sorry not sorry.

Speaking of putting things in your mouth, I tried two great new recipes this week that I believe are worthy of sharing.

First:

Garden Style Lasagna  This was divine!  It's hard for me to cook meatless in this house.  It sucks, because I don't always "need" or even want meat, but even when I make a salad or plain pasta or heck anything else, the response I get from the males in this house is "where's the meat".  But this recipe had people coming back for more and NOT ONCE did I get a request for meat.  The leftovers were great too.  Just don't scorch your first batch of white sauce like I did... oops.

Second:

Shredded Beef  I know this recipe is written to make French Dip sandwiches, but I just made the shredded beef and served it (and that awesome juice) over brown rice with veggies on the side.  My husband is still raving about it.  He even used some leftovers to put in a tortilla and make a burrito.  For such a simple recipe with so few ingredients, I can't say enough good about it.

And on that note, I think I've worked up the motivation to get my sweat on.  To the gym I go!

1 comment:

  1. Agree completely about enjoying the holidays. In our WeightWatchers meetings, a lot of the conversation is about how to enjoy the holidays. We share suggestions like "splurge on the things you really love but hold off on things you can eat every day, like bread" or "eat whatever you want that day, but don't let a one-day splurge turn into a four-day-long-weekend splurge." It's all about balance, like you said!

    ReplyDelete