Tuesday, November 18, 2014

When I'm Not Running...

Don't let the title fool you.  I've been running.  I'm happy to say that I finally feel back to myself after MCM.  Like I said before, I want to work up to running 20+ miles per week to maintain over this winter.. which seems to be appearing pretty freaking early since this morning was -1 (yes there's a MINUS there) with the windchill.  Last week I put in around 17 and half miles, so I'm definitely on the right track.  This week I'm shooting for 20.

I've also on week 2 of the Strong Curves "flavor" workout plan.  Holy crap that first week was rough.  I was SO sore.  I didn't know if I was from still recovering from the marathon or the new training.  I believe it was from the glute exercises because I've never been sore like that in those areas before.  Wowza.  Hopefully this will be a good thing and help me in my running... in the long run.  Ha.  I'm so funny.

But, I didn't come here to talk about running or any other exercise.  Or the fact that I've eaten less than 100g of carbs a day for the last several days (hello again abs!).  What I want to tell you about is what I do when I'm not working out or participating in real life responsibilities.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

This past Thursday the new expansion, Warlords of Draenor, hit the market.  I had prepurchased it and was ready to go the second it went live.  Which was 3am EST.  Yes, my ass was in this chair.  I was there for the herd of people standing on top of Khadgar, jumping through the portal and starting the grind to level 100.  It's always such an experience that I'm glad to be a part of.  I've played WoW nearly 10 years now.  It's been a major part of my life.  I've met friends who I've connected with outside of WoW, witnessed people get married, have kids, even just grow up and go off to school (or as they say, "Uni", depending on where they're from).  I got lucky to be on an early American converted to Oceanic server, so most of my online connections are with people from Australia.  I love it. It's like I live in 2 parts of the world every day.  I remember hearing about Steve Irwin's death while logged in - even before American news was reporting it.  Memories.

So, every time there's a new release my husband and I go all out for it... get the game going the second it comes out, stay up all day and night, etc.  And now that the kids are older, they're into it too - especially the midkid who has his own characters going and really understands the game probably better than most.  After the newness wears off it's back to being more casual and relaxed about it (our hardcore guild and raiding days are long over), but it's nice to get back into it like crazy kids for a bit.

I did hit max level pretty quickly btw.  Because I rock.  Troll Shadow Priest FTW.  For the glory of the Horde.  Now if I can only get my Garrison built up the way I'd like it....

And for the record, I still got all my runs and all my other workouts in.  And I cooked (mostly) healthy foods.  Even on few hours sleep.  Years ago I would have just slothed around and ate burritos and chips.  But I guess I'm older and more responsible now.  Or maybe I'm just old in general.  That's ok too.

Thanks for 10 years of freaking awesome experiences, Blizzard.  Here, let me hand you more money.  I couldn't imagine being addicted to something more... EPIC.

An old pic of my priest after being one of the first people to get the Violet Proto Drake from the What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been achievement.

2 comments:

  1. I think the last video game (are they still called that?) I played was Frogger, lol! Cool that your whole family is into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes - Frogger is classic! I'm a nerd. haha.

      Delete