Monday, December 8, 2014

Oh Look - We're in the Home Stretch of 2014!

Isn't is always amazing (and scary) how some times it seems like time just drags along (like waiting for the doctor after the med assistant takes your vitals) and then others it just flies by dragging YOU along kicking and screaming?

Welcome to Life, right?

So, the first week of December is gone.  Which means now we're counting down to Christmas, 2015, MY BIRTHDAY (closer to 40 than 30... ahem), and - a new year of running and racing/training.

First let me tell you about this first week of December 2014.   I was able to put in just a tad over 25 running miles.  I'm very pleased with this as I feel like if I can keep this up (and inch it a bit closer to 30 in the next couple weeks), I will have a nice solid base for the coming year.  My legs are feeling good, and I've been doing small "speed tests" if you will... just to put my toe in the water physically and mentally.  I know I've said it before, but I really want my old speed back.  At least close to it.  I know I'm going to have to go through the ol' suckfest painfest to get it back, but I'm willing to do it.  That's another reason I'm trying to keep a decent base of mileage going into a new training cycle - this way I'm not adding both speed and new distance as a shocker to the body at once.  Injury prevention, yo.

I'm now onto Phase 2 of my "grow an ass" strength training plan.  I really wish I had taken pics at the start, but I can definitely see, and most importantly FEEL a difference.  My husband says he can see a difference too, so I guess that's a good thing.  I've always had the stereotypical flat Irish rear end, so it's kind of cool to start seeing something going on back there.

I was also able to get in a good yoga session this week.  Just a half hour vinyasa flow, but I know it helps.

Last week's runs, a pre-workout selfie (not of my ass), and my current favorite Spotify playlist.  I still can't believe I used to carry 100 more lbs on my frame.

This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, but given the holiday season, my eating hasn't been 100% on point.  I've consumed more festive dessert than I should (hello last night's M&M cookies and ice cream).  At this time I'm not concerned because I do track everything on MyFitnessPal and don't go over calorie limits, but I know it's something I need to be aware of and keep in check so I'm not UNDERconsuming vital nutrients.

Speaking of vital nutrients, I found a new flavor of Emergen-C that has become my new favorite:
Why is the rum always gone?

I've been plowing down this stuff for years.  I have 1 packet a day and if I feel like I might be coming down with something, I up it to two (and try to make one of them the Immunity formula).  It works for me, YMMV.. the makers certainly aren't paying me to pimp it to you.  And please spare me the "omg you're drinking chemicals and GMOs and rat poison and the blood of Satan's spawn and really you're just making expensive pee" (kinda went through this on a running page on FB that I'm no longer active on).  Again, it works for ME.  Just like Jack Daniels and Coke Zero on a stressful day.  Placebo effect?  Maybe.  I don't care.

So - looking forward to 2015...  Would you believe I still don't have everything all planned out?  Right now I'm thinking I will run the Frigid Five Miler.  I think I can PR that race even in current condition.  I'm 92% sure I'm running the Pittsburgh Marathon as well as the 5K the day before.  And by that I mean that I already have my whole training plan typed out.  It scares the shit out of me, but they say if your dreams don't scare you they're not big enough, so there's that.  Also in my plans is the JASR 30K (another automatic PR because I've never ran a 30K - so there!).  I know I "should" actually race a 5K at some point to get a more accurate gauge of fitness, but I really hate 5Ks because they make me feel like crapola.  As for the rest of the year?  NFI.  My family is pressing me to run MCM again because they had such a great time with the whole weekend.  I don't know.  I mean, it would be cool to go try to do better than I did the first time and be kind of familiar with it, but at the same time I want to do other things (Philly, Wineglass, etc).  Maybe I'll just enter the lottery again and see what comes of it.  Again, I don't have much planned.

In the non-running and non-real life:  OMG Sons of Anarchy.  Tomorrow is the final episode and I'm going to be so sad when it's all over.  What will I do from here?  This is one of those shows I've watched every single episode of every single season of.  Like House.  I still am not over his antics and I still think Cuddy is a bitch.  Rescue Me - still laughing/crying over Lou and the red velvet cake.  I suppose another show will come along (I still have Homeland and Grey's Anatomy - at least for now), but this was one of the ones to remember.

Tig & Venus forever. :)  

4 comments:

  1. I also come from flat-butt genes but have built mine up some with strength work over the past few years. I remember when I first noticed it, I visited my family and exclaimed, "Look at my butt!" ha ha.

    Do people really attack like that on FB for eating a Vitamin C supplement??? People. That's all I'll say.

    I'll also be doing the JASR half as a training run and Pittsburgh half as a goal race and then two fall halfs. I'd like to do a 10K. Maybe Father's Day again since I did it last year so I can see if I can beat my time. As for 5Ks...ugh. I hate them and they terrify me, but I keep going back to them. Actually considering running the Jingle Bell 5K this Saturday as my last race of the year...even though I'll hate it, so I'm leaning toward no, but somehow I'll feel guilty if I don't do it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, aren't "internet muscles" sad? I don't get it.. I don't claim to be an expert on anything, and one thing I've definitely come to know over the years is that you can't judge anyone. You don't know their situation is or how their body functions or what is truly best for them. I've been a member of quite a few forums/groups/etc since my weight loss and fitness journey started that got so vile and nasty it was unbelievable. :(

      Yes, JASR will be a training run for me too - right now the plan is to run most of it at marathon pace and the other part long run pace. We'll see! That was my first half marathon so it's kind of a sentimental thing too. :)

      Good luck if you choose to say yes to the Jingle Bell Run. I totally understand the guilt thing, though.

      Delete
  2. I cannot imagine you 100 pounds heavier! Way to go! I haven't yet watched Sons of Anarchy. I'm saving that for when the weather gets really nasty and I'm forced to stay in on the treadmill. I've heard great things about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Oh yes, Sons will definitely keep you entertained on the treadmill. It's a shocker of a show... just when you think you know where it's going and what's going to happen - BOOM. Wrong. It's one of the few shows that has kept my interest season after season.

      Delete