Monday, January 5, 2015

Marathon #2 Training Week 1

I'm off to a pretty good start here.  Hopefully this keeps up!  I'm going to try (no promises) to be better about my recaps this training cycle even when times get hard.  I'm not saying it's a "resolution" (I hate that word), but it's something I want to work harder at.  However, I'm going to also try to not make them too lengthy.  If you follow me on DailyMile or Instagram then you're pretty caught up on the details of my workouts and I don't like to be too redundant.

Monday:  I did Workout A of my strength training plan, which currently consists of: Hip Thrusts, Rows, Goblet Squats, Bench press, deadlifts, weighted leg lifts, elevated planks and side planks.  I followed it up with yoga.

Tuesday:  First run of the training plan and right out of the gate with my first tempo run in a long time.  I did 8 miles in total:  2 easy warmup (via hrm), 4 miles at tempo (all sub-8 min miles!), and then another 2 miles to cooldown (via hrm).  I was very pleased with this run.

Wednesday:  Workout B.  Single leg glute bridges, pullovers, walking lunges, military press, reverse hyperextentions on the stability ball, clamshells, ball crunches, and ball side crunches.

Thursday:  9 mile general aerobic run.  This was New Years Day and another set of firsts - no Jan 1 hangover and ran over 9 miles on a weekday!

Friday:  My birthday!  The main plan called for a rest day but it was the first day of #30DaysofYoga and I really don't think it's too much to do yoga on a rest day.  I'll continue to do this at least until this challenge is up.  The first day went very well.  I like how Adriene's starting off with just simple postures/poses and holds and stretches.  Just what I need!

Saturday:  A 4 mile recovery run was on the schedule.  I've been going back and forth all week on attending the official kick off run.  Mother Nature ended up making the decision for me with a wicked bout of freezing rain.  So I got to sleep for a few more hours (yay!) and then I went to the closest gym, which is thankfully just up the road.  I actually got a decent run in on the treadmill, although admittedly having to keep the heart rate in recovery range helped make the treadmill very easy.
After my run, I did day 2 of #30DaysofYoga, which was entitled Stretch & Soothe.  It was great, but more challenging than that title led me to believe!

Sunday:  First long run!  12 miles, ran via keeping my heart rate in the appropriate zone.  My plan has me running long runs at a higher heart rate than my general or recovery runs.  I like this so far and am interested to see how it works out for the longer runs to come.  I felt good at the end of this run and I feel good today!
Day 3 of #30DaysofYoga was great!  Lots of stretches for the hips which is exactly what I want post long run.  Lately my hip flexors seem to tighten up faster than anything else and it's good to loosen back up as soon as I can.

Total Miles Ran: 33.2
Total Running Workouts: 4 - 1 tempo, 1 easy, 1 recovery, 1 long
Total Strength Workouts: 2
Total Yoga Workouts: 4 ( I think this might be a record!)

Nutrition this week:  Just being honest here - terrible.  It was not only New Years, but my birthday as well, so there were more junk and treats and sweets and booze than a typical week.  I know this coming into this week every year so I don't beat myself up over it.  I can get back on track when the party's over.  :)

Because race shirts count as yoga wear.  I said so.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a good start! I don't think anyone made it to that kickoff run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't seem like it. It's a shame, but you can't control the weather around here, that's for sure. I'm glad they've rescheduled it!

      Delete