Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Free Advice

Who doesn't love some free advice? ;-)

Seriously, though - I have a friendly PSA for today.  And this will be a pic-free post simply because I love you all.  Even if I don't know you and you're out there reading this I still like you too darn much to subject you to photos regarding this topic.

I've said it before... I have gnarly feet from running.  Just flat out NASTY.  I will never get a pedicure outside my own home again because I have more respect for those extremely energetic ladies at the nail salon than to put them through the trauma that is my toenail situation.

However - runners out there I am telling you NOW you need to keep tabs on your tootsies.  Do not be lazy about clipping those nails and smoothing out the rough spots.  Don't be like me and get a little lax about it and then discover your fail after a longer run.

About a week ago after a run, I had noticed on the way home that the top of my (pink) shoe looked.. well pink-er than before.  I didn't really think too much of it at the time.. I might of spilled something, ran through something.. who knows.  When I got home, however, and I popped the shoe off, the entire toe part of my sock was dried blood.  And of course, as I tried to gently peel it off, it was stuck to my toe so I had to just yank it.

Turns out, I had a sharp spot on the inside/corner of one of the little toes and it proceeded to shred the hell out of the toe next to it during my run.  It was like it went through a freaking cheese grater! I guess I really didn't feel it happening because it was so cold out and my toes had been numb.  I don't really know.  But man did it hurt like a mother after I got that shoe & sock off!  I was really ticked too, it was one of my favorite Swiftwick socks!

So, I've been nursing my poor toe back to health by keeping it clean and bandaged.  It still bothers me when my awesome bandage work doesn't hold up a whole run, but it's coming along and I suspect I'll be back to pristine toe form by the end of the week (and thank God for that, I have to run 18 miles on Sunday when it's supposed to be like 2 frickin' degrees FML).

Learn from my mistake!  Check your toes!  Take care of them and they will take care of you!

4 comments:

  1. OUCH! Hopefully it's better in time for your long run! I can't believe how cold it's going to be on Sunday :-( !! Not looking forward to that!

    Funny story re:pedicures. When I was training for my first marathon I went to get a pedicure (we were going on vacation so naturally I wanted "nice" toes) at the mall. They looked at my feet, their eyes got SO wide and they asked "what did you DO to them?!?!", and then went in the back room and brought out a DREMMEL to sand my feet. It was so embarrassing...everyone looked at me and stared. It was equal parts hysterical and mortifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I would have been so embarrassed. I know that's what they'd have to do with me... they'd bring out a hacksaw and probably dress in HazMat gear too. I only have 8 toenails now and 1 that just looks vile. My kids tell me all the time "Mom, your runner feet are soooo gross".

      Sunday is not looking good. :( I guess as long as it's not icy I'll just pile on the layers and suck it up!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! That sounds awful! I will definitely take your advice because I rarely pay attention to my feet and I know I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can help prevent this from happening to someone else! My pain is your gain! :-)

      Delete