Tuesday, March 31, 2015

See You Next Year, March!

213 Miles.

213 miles... that's how far I ran this month.  I couldn't believe it when I saw the numbers after I synced this morning's run (which was awesome, BTW).

Compare that to March 2014 when I ran 81 miles, trying to prepare for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon.  At the end of the month I had just started straight running instead of run/walking, and I was running 4 days per week, doing 1 day on the elliptical (which would transition later to my 5th day of running), and strength training 2-3 days per week.  My long run was topped out at 9 miles.  All of my running miles were just easy miles.. I did no speedwork at all.

Oh what a difference a year makes, huh?

I have to admit:  I'm kind of sad that this is the highest number I'll see until probably September.  It truly is all downhill from here, when it comes to the Pittsburgh Marathon, anyway.  Starting this week, both my medium long runs and my recovery runs decrease in distance.  I have a cutback long run this weekend, and then next Saturday is my 3rd and final 20 miler. And then - it's taper craziness!  April looks like it has "only" 182 miles in store for me.  I've worked really damn hard to get to this point.  I never thought I would be here today, that's for sure.  I also didn't think I could sit here and tell you that I think I could do more, and depending on how the next 5 weeks go that may play into my decisions for the fall.

But for now I'll say farewell and thank you, March 2015.  This month I was pushed harder and farther than I could have imagined and I gave it my all.  Let's hope it pays off in a PR come May 3rd.

JASR 2015 - finishing the 30K.  Any time I have a smile on my face when my foot hits the finish is a win!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, now that is getting some miles in. I don't think I ever had a month like that. I was looking at your finishing pic of the JASR and your time was really good, hopefully it pays off and you get a PR next month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shaun, I'm hoping it does!

      Delete
  2. Great month! SO great seeing progress from year to year! I have a feeling you're going to be very pleased come May...you've worked SO incredibly hard and I know it's going to pay off (knock on wood...don't want to jinx it). Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been knocking on wood too.. haha. Any time I say something good *knock knock* ;)

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Nichole! I can believe the mileage since my jaw always drops when you record your 10-12 midweek runs! You've had such an awesome training cycle. I can almost read your Pgh Marathon recap where you talk about how you totally kicked butt, because you definitely will. Enjoy the downhill journey to the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I certainly hope you are right! If I can say anything about this plan it's the fact I think the midweek "medium long" run is what makes it. I used to scoff at people who said "You just need to run a lot of miles to get better" because I thought why? If I want to get better I just need to go faster and work hard! Now I'm eating that crow and I'm gonna join in and say you just need to run a lot of easy miles... lol. Live and learn.

      Delete