Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Taper Madness Check-in!

We are at the HUMP DAY of the first week of taper for those of us using a 3 week taper method for the Pittsburgh Marathon.  YMMV if you're doing a longer or shorter one.

So how's everyone feeling?  Going crazy yet?  Calm?  A little of both?

Feel like this guy, maybe?

Something strange that happens to me during taper - and this goes for marathons and half marathons - is that I start craving foods out of the blue like I'm pregnant.  They are those same really strong cravings too... nothing will satisfy it until I scratch that itch, so to speak.  I could make the most delicious food in the world but if I'm craving Oreos everything else is going to taste like crap until I get an Oreo.

My cravings thus far?  Pudding, tacos, and gyros.  I have been craving them for about 2 days now and I'm about to go nuts if I don't get to the store and at least make one of them tonight.  I even ate a piece of cake last night and it was just "meh" to me.  I know, I'm weird!

Something else that strikes me during taper is boredom.  You all know I've been running a fairly high mileage training plan.  I've been in the 50 mile per week range for over two months!  One of the key points in my plan is running long (well, they call it "medium long", but whatever) runs during the week.  Usually on Wednesdays I run anywhere from 10-14 miles.  Today I ran 6.  SIX!  And at recovery pace!  The struggle becomes mental for me because it feels like I'm not doing nearly what I've been.  I know that is the point of taper.  But this also makes me go freaking bananas because then I worry about what I'm eating... Obviously I don't need to eat to support long runs all the time like I have been.  I'm still hungry, though!  But if I eat I'll get fat... and if I gain a bunch of weight I'll be slower.. and if I'm slower then my goals get flushed down the toilet... and if my goals get flushed then what was the point of putting in all these miles... and then why did I waste the money on the race..

It goes on and on.  Thank goodness I haven't gone totally out of it yet, but I know it's coming.  I'm going to try to rein it in... But if I don't, at least you'll will have something funny to read over the next few weeks.

I'm thinking banana pudding... If I put a banana IN the banana pudding that makes it a serving of fruit and therefore totally healthy, right?  Plus, more carbs!  haha


6 comments:

  1. Can't say I ever craved food during taper. This weekend is my last long run, I am going to do the Boston trail half and then its taper time for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about that race - good luck! :)

      Delete
  2. haha that picture is HILARIOUS. I need to print that out in a month or so :) You know you're a runner when you consider 6 miles a boring/easy run. You've gone to the dark side, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the grumpy cat. Yeah, I know I've gone to a dark.. dark place. lol

      Delete
  3. Those are very specific cravings! Hope you can scratch the itch soon. I imagine it would be pretty crazy to go from 50-mile weeks or do long to so much less. You could always do a yoga challenge for the next three weeks to keep fom getting bored. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea about the yoga! I don't want to start adding anything new during taper, but I guess it wouldn't hurt just to make a more conscious effort to go over tried & true things and just spend some time on the mat calming myself down. Thanks!!

      Delete