Friday, April 17, 2015

What I'm Really Eating

Yes, more food talk out of me.. big shock, huh?  Don't hate!



First, I want to let you know that I did get my banana pudding the other night.  I put a banana in it, so it at least included something healthy (I used skim milk too - so there!).  Then I went and screwed that up by putting whipped cream on it.  And added Vanilla wafers.  Hey, we've all got our vices.

That said, while I do treat myself and don't feel guilty about it (or at least try not to), I really do eat pretty healthfully the majority of the time.  And that's what it's all about, at least for me.  I can't stand "diets" that have you telling yourself "you can never have X ever again!".  That crap just makes me want whatever X is that much more.  If I know I can have something and, like I said in my last post - scratch the itch - then I can be done with it and move along.  It's not like I'm sitting here still eating banana pudding.  Last thing I ate was a Nugo Bar about 2 hours ago, to be honest.

Dinner the previous night was salmon, sauteed spinach with garlic and mushrooms, and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon.  Tonight I'm making pesto paninis with tomato and mozzarella.  Ok, I better stop before I make myself hungry and end up cooking dinner in a half hour.

Something I did the other day was go back through my My Fitness Pal logs and make a list of everything I ate during taper and carb load time for MCM.  What I ate last cycle worked, so I'd like to repeat that.  I figured I'd share my most popular foods list here in case anyone was looking for ideas of things to eat during this next week or so.  Also, check out my post on what I do to carb load for a race if you'd like.

These were the most common foods that I ate/drank during taper last training cycle:

Sweet potatoes (honestly, it's a wonder I'm not orange because I eat them constantly)
Pasta (duh)
Bananas
Baked white or red potatoes
Brown rice
Yogurt (Greek and regular nonfat or lowfat)
Asparagus (and it's Spring and it's nice and fresh now - I've bought so much of it lately!!)
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cucumber
Green Beans
Salad greens (the favorites in this household are arugula, romaine, and spinach, but I do not discriminate on yummy greens personally)
Peppers
Squash
Tomatoes
Cherries
Milk (almond, skim, and coconut)
Grapefruit
Lentils
Dried Apricots
Dates
Chickpeas
Quinoa
Couscous
Bread - (wheat, multigrain, or Ezekiel, usually)
Pears
Plums
Carrots
Cereal
Oranges
Peaches
Pineapple
Grapes
Oatmeal
Orange Juice
Kiwi
Raisins
Rice Cakes
Popcorn
Pretzels
Egg whites
Chia Bars
Nugo Bars
Clif Bars
Gatorade
G2
Nuun in water
Water (of course)
Grilled chicken
Lean beef
Turkey breast

I almost forgot to add the meat at the end because I honestly don't eat a lot of it, and by the day before race day I won't eat any at all.

Don't ask me for the list of what I ate after the marathon... First of all, I wasn't real coherent about tracking it... Also, it was pretty much whatever I could put in my mouth - I remember cake, watermelon, and a lot of beer and fried chicken... lol

Hungry?  I am now!  Might be time for a snack.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! The one area with eating I have always sucked at is making grain dishes, like quinoa, couscous, barley. I tend to rely on wheat bread, rice & pasta to fulfill my whole grain quota. I think now would be a really great time for me to make more whole grain dishes, since I'm getting a little bored with sweet potatoes & wheat pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! That's exactly why I went back and looked at what I ate before... I was getting into a rut with pasta, rice and bread too!

      Delete