Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Moving Forward

I'm in a great mood.  I have been for the past couple of days, thankfully.  Sometime Saturday night/early Sunday I made my mind up that I was done having my pissy pity party and being a negative Nancy about everything.  Yeah, yeah, the timing sucked on this injury.  Big time.  But you know, shit happens and we are not in control of every single aspect of life no matter how hard we try.  I don't know why this happened to me (other than the previously mentioned anatomical issues I have).  I was feeling great and thought I was doing everything right.  I strength trained, did my stretching routine daily and did yoga too, I ran most of my miles slow, at the time of my injury I certainly wasn't increasing my mileage, I was eating well, etc.  I wasn't nursing any niggles and didn't feel a single thing wrong with me until that 7 miler that felt stiff.  Again, shit happens.  Whatever.  Moaning about it and feeling bad about myself and the world doesn't help. So - moving on!

I've got another reason for my good mood too.  I finally heard back from ortho regarding my official MRI results (yes, I'm ticked I had to wait this long, but that's another story).  I'm thrilled to know that the doctor's initial impression was incorrect based on the first x-rays and exam.  I do NOT have an avulsion or any other stress fracture!  Yes, I tore up the muscle pretty well and have some damage there and there's possibly a mild stress reaction where the tendon inserts in the pelvis.  But, thankfully I was smart enough to stop running before it became an actual fracture.  Another few steps and I could have been done for.  My current prescription is "activity as tolerated", which pretty much sums up my doctor's mantra of "don't do anything that hurts".  I go back in the middle of next week to see him again, probably have more x-rays, and see where things go from there.  He might send me back to PT, might not.  This is pretty much just a "wait it out" thing.  But, no where NEAR what I had to deal with before... whew!

I am so freaking happy.  Yeah, it sucks I had to DNS two races.  But I'd rather this than the alternative.  I'm going to take this really easy.  I'm definitely not going to be running for a few weeks... nope.  Not going to do it however tempting it is.  I'm going to go for walks, ride the bike if I can, and do a ton of strength training and relax!  I'm even tempted to buy a real bike and go for rides on the trails I love over the summer.  I haven't had a real bike since I was a kid (yeah, I know, sad - right?)!  I did a killer chest and triceps workout yesterday and had DOMS so bad picking up a coffee cup was hard this morning... lol.  I missed this!  I also started doing my home PT workout again.  It seems to help.

I figure if all goes as I hope it does I'll start running again by the end of June.. taking it slow.. probably run/walking.  I have a 6 month post-injury speedwork ban so that's definitely out for the rest of the year.  I'll make it to MCM, though.  I'm probably either going to try a bare bones novice Higdon plan or a run/walk plan.  I won't be looking at a great time or a chance at a PR, but I'll get there in one piece and have a great time and enjoy the whole experience of it.  At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Me acting goofy taking selfies before an MRI.  Who does that crap? Guess I do.  Must be those irresistibly sexy hospital gowns. 


10 comments:

  1. I'm glad the injury isn't as bad as you thought! Glad you're taking care of yourself and hopefully you'll heal quickly :) please don't stop blogging though! Even if you have to talk about your daily walk or your morning coffee I'll be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no worries, I'm not going anywhere! I can even share the interesting things I might take pics of things I see while I walk the ol' neighborhood. Today I saw a HUGE (but sadly dead) frog. I still took a pic.. lol

      Delete
  2. SO glad it's not as serious as the Drs first thought!!! You're one tough cookie and will be back as good as new before we know it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Holding back and being patient is the hardest part!

      Delete
  3. So happy for you that is nothing major. Take some rest and get back out there so you can crush MCM. Steal me a gown next time your at the doctor.. I like to wear them around the neighborhood with my ass out and make people think that I escaped a mental institute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - that's actually not that bad of an idea. Might at least keep the actual crazy people away. ;)

      Delete
  4. So glad you're feeling better and that the injury wasn't more serious. Your plan for getting to MCM sounds great. And really, biking, walking, and relaxing sounds pretty damn good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm focusing on looking forward, not back - it's too easy to get caught up in "woulda coulda shoulda"!

      Delete
  5. I hope you're feeling better and back to running soon. Your training up until the injury was really solid. You're going to do great with a fall marathon. Good luck! Ever want to meet when your back up and running, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete